Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper size enclosure for a Tokay Gecko.

Thanks

Default Proper size enclosure for a Tokay Gecko.

The title explains it all. Someone from a Reptile Group was telling me that I can't keep one in a 10 gallon by itself because it's too small. They also think that I can't keep a leopard gecko can't live happily in a 10 gallon tank either. From the research I have done they can successfully live in a 10 gallon tank set up for them.

Thanks

I think their is no less than 500 leopard breeders that would agree with you.......tell the "know it all haters" to mind their own business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Grail Geckos View Post
    I think their is no less than 500 leopard breeders that would agree with you.......tell the "know it all haters" to mind their own business.
    Soooo. A tokay gecko can live happily and healthily in a 10 gallon tank? Turned on its side with all of the proper care and supplies?

Thanks

A 10 gallon would be fine for a juvenile Tokay, but WAY to small for an adult. Remember, you're talking about a gecko that can easily reach 12"+ in length. They are also active hunters that seem to enjoy chasing down their food. An enclosure the size of a 29 gal. aquarium would be more comfortable for it. These are just my observations from back when I used to keep and breed them (from 1982 to 1995). They are really neat lizards, and well worth giving them enough room to enjoy themselves. Good luck with them.

Mark

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkM0723 For This Useful Post:

Siphon (09-27-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM0723 View Post
    A 10 gallon would be fine for a juvenile Tokay, but WAY to small for an adult. Remember, you're talking about a gecko that can easily reach 12"+ in length. They are also active hunters that seem to enjoy chasing down their food. An enclosure the size of a 29 gal. aquarium would be more comfortable for it. These are just my observations from back when I used to keep and breed them (from 1982 to 1995). They are really neat lizards, and well worth giving them enough room to enjoy themselves. Good luck with them.

Mark

Okay, that is what I was thinking. How many can you fit in a 29 gallon? I am taking my turtles out of the current one and adding them into a 55 gallon in a few weeks. c:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoRave View Post
    Okay, that is what I was thinking. How many can you fit in a 29 gallon? I am taking my turtles out of the current one and adding them into a 55 gallon in a few weeks. c:
    You could successfully keep a pair in it, but will likely have to remove the male when the female starts laying eggs. Unlike most reptiles, many Tokays AGGRESSIVELY guard their eggs, and there's a good chance that the female will not tolerate the male around the eggs. I used to have a colony that had run of the reptile room (about 20' X15') and when the females were guarding eggs, no other geckos were allowed within about six feet of them or the hatchlings.

Mark

Thanks

You could successfully keep a pair in it, but will likely have to remove the male when the female starts laying eggs. Unlike most reptiles, many Tokays AGGRESSIVELY guard their eggs, and there's a good chance that the female will not tolerate the male around the eggs. I used to have a colony that had run of the reptile room (about 20' X15') and when the females were guarding eggs, no other geckos were allowed within about six feet of them or the hatchlings.

Mark
    My gosh! I'm not sure as to if I really want some right now but there is the Minnesota Reptile Expo in a few weeks that I want to get to and might pick up some younger ones. Not sure if I want a pair or trio, but probably going for the pair. I have to do tons of research still, so thanks for all the help! Do you happen to have a care guide on them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoRave View Post
    Do you happen to have a care guide on them?
    I wish I did, but when I was working with them, the internet basically didn't exist (Yes, the Dark Ages). However, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Mark

Thanks

I wish I did, but when I was working with them, the internet basically didn't exist (Yes, the Dark Ages). However, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Mark

Thank You so much for all the help! Dark ages. I was just a little baby/kid then. :b

Thanks

Mark
    Did they have cameras in the Dark Ages? I would love to see the pictures of that reptile room........did they poop in a specific spot or did you have to deal with it all over the place? Did you setup specific spots for the females to lay their eggs or did they just find their own hidden spot? What about food......how were they fed?