Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 year old daughter wants a snake

Thanks

Default 9 year old daughter wants a snake

So my almost 9 year old daughter wants a snake. I told her to read some threads on here and do some research and she thinks a corn snake would be a good first snake. We are going to a expo this weekend and I figured we could look there.

She is responsible and cares for her chubby frogs and helps take care of our 4 cresties so I know that will not be a issue. She has watched feeding videos and has held garter snakes in the yard so I don't think that will be a problem her either. I already have most of the items of her care sheet she listed and I checked.

I showed her some pictures of what mites looked like and we talked about looking over the snake carefully for signs of illness.

I was looking for some tips on choosing the right snake that I might have overlooked of if you think a snake for a 9 year old is a bad idea I would love to hear why. Honestly I like to look at snakes especially pieds but having one in my house and helping care for it is something else so I'm a little nervous.

Thanks

corn snakes are awesome pets, great beginner snake. cant go wrong with one. very sweet, and curious

I would also suggest kenyan sand boas. more mellow then corns, and smaller, the males about a foot and a half the females maybe a foot longer. very cute. look like worms.

of course ball pythons are great to,

May not want to get baby, baby corns or sands, they are very small. I really see no problem with a 9 year old having a snake. but with any pet, she will need supervision until she understands their needs.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

We bought our 4 yr old (we did most of the upkeep at that age) a corn snake. Wee little tiny snake that was barely the size of a pencil. She has always been great with it but my daughter can pick up butterflies out of a growing pen and release them outside without touching/damaging their wings. She has a very delicate touch. That snake though, best snake EVER. Hubby is a 1st grade teacher and he moved her into the 5th grade classroom for a month. She (we call it a she, just guessing though) was handled multiple times a day and she was totally cool with it. Such a placid snake! We have 2 gray banded kings and while they're nice snakes too they're a bit more high strung. The corn could care less, they're awesome kid pet snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The zoo
    3.1.0 R. Auriculatus, 1.0.0 R. Chahoua PI, 0.0.3 T. Corticale, 1.1.0 peacock reed tree frog, 1.1 gray banded king snakes, 0.1 snow corn snake, 1.0 beige chinchilla, 1.0 boxer, 1.0 French bulldog

Thanks

I traded some cresties for a pair of ball pythons and theyre awesome really mellow not agressive ..... but !!!!!!

My 11 year old daughter is a total snake nut and she was excited to get snakes finally and she finds them boring as they aren't out and about in the enclosure much so I would reccomend a corn or a milk something that is more active during the day...

and theres nothing wrong with a snake for a 9 year old both my 7 and 4 year old handle mine no probs
    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your advice and for sharing your personal experiences. It was just what I was looking for good or bad. She is really excited and been busy researching and I just wanted to make sure we choose wisely. My daughter has read each of your responses and is really looking forward to Saturday more than ever.

Thank you again!

Thanks

Corns would be a good choice. Milks and Kings would too but, with them look for a well started or even yearling so some of the crazy babyness has grown out of them. If you look at the milks and kings I would lean toward a Honduran milk or California king. Best of luck finding the right one!
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

Corns would be a good choice. Milks and Kings would too but, with them look for a well started or even yearling so some of the crazy babyness has grown out of them. If you look at the milks and kings I would lean toward a Honduran milk or California king. Best of luck finding the right one!
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I would make sure the cage is as secure as possible. If there are any weaknesses in the enclosure, the snake will take any opportunity to escape, and the last thing anyone wants is an escapee.

Good luck!
    1.1 Lampropeltis getula (Caldera, Zorro), 1.1 Crested gecko (Hiyori & Sundae), 0.1 Western hognose snake (Hinamori Momo), 1.0 African house snake (Kensei), 0.0.1 Amazon tree boa (Kon)

Thanks

Not sure if your daughter is squeamish at all, but maybe have her take a look at youtube snake feeding videos to make sure she's okay with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imyourscar View Post
    Not sure if your daughter is squeamish at all, but maybe have her take a look at youtube snake feeding videos to make sure she's okay with it
    hahaha my four year old sits on the bed when I feed the ball pythons rubbing her hands together saying "oh boy oh boy"
    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo