Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satanics

Thanks

"Pants" should be "phants". But its also important how you keep them too...
    R. Leachianus, R. Auriculatus, U. Fimbriatus, U. Henkeli, U. Sameiti, U. Lineatus, U. Pietschmanni, B. Boivini

http://www.facebook.com/NorthstarHerp

Thanks

OP please put some branches in their enclosures, and some cover. U.phants are low on the food chain and need cover to feel comfortable, a few pothos and some sticks will make a world of difference.
    0.1.0 R.leachianus, nuu ami
    lots of spiders

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pakinjak View Post
    "Pants" should be "phants". But its also important how you keep them too...

I keep my pants in a dresser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riverside Reptiles View Post
    I keep my pants in a dresser
    But, in similarly decorated containers

Thanks

i kept U. phantasticus as well as U. henkali several years back. i can tell you that they must have an arboreal setup to feel secure and comfortable. they may seem ok now but they will decline if kept in those conditions.

uroplatus will become stressed as will any geckos that are not kept in a similar environment as they are used to in nature.

U.phantasticus are fascinating. when i kept them back around 2003 up to 2005 i was amazed at these little geckos. i kept them successfully and did get eggs from them back then but not fertile. i relocated in 2005 and was friends with a couple of reptile experts so they went to the right people.

i have wanted to get back into these geckos for quite some time. we all know of the shortage of phantasticus and hope that we see captive bred specimens from the limited number of breeders that are doing captive bred projects with these beauties. those breeders have be completely familiar with their husbandry to succeed for any length of time.

please listen to the responses to your post.although they are surviving they are probably quite unhappy and stressed. many of us just had a jaw drop looking at a horizontal setup lacking any cover for an arboreal species. sweater boxes while being acceptable for some desert dwelling geckos is surely incorrect for arboreal geckos. i hope you can take the criticism and adjust your husbandry practices. these geckos deserve it.
    Last edited by Rhac On; 03-27-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

This post really begs the question of why would you WANT to keep your phants like this? What a waste of having such wonderful creatures in your care. Where's the fun in stuffing them in a little plastic box that you can't even see into? It's so much more rewarding to keep your animals in a naturalistic environment where you can observe them and their behaviors. This habit of keeping herps in rubbermaids brought about by snake and leo keepers has set a poor example for the rest of the herp community IMO.

Thanks

Ah so curiosity kills the cat huh? Apparently my (at least I thought it was) mildly worded questions provoked quite a defensive response, and yet still no real answer to my questions. Now that's "curious", of a different kind. You may have experience with the species (though since you said they've shed "multiple times" as a measure of their health, it leads me to believe you haven't kept them a super long time), but so do a lot of other folks here and I too would encourage you to at least take their advice into account. You said yourself that you ask questions to others with experience (some here have years and years), here's a chance.
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Thanks

Can't believe I'm just seeing this thread. I think this is something that needs to be bumped up, for the sake of the animals.

No matter what your "goals" are for the future, those set ups will not work for this species. I think its safe to assume you have not done much research or have never kept Uroplatus before, but Uroplatus are arboreal. They need branches, foliage, etc. in order to feel safe and adapt to their enviornment properly. I have never seen anyone keep ANY specie of Uroplatus successfully this way, except for a reptile show for a couple of hours.

I'm not sure how many people it will take to get through to you, but please, reconsider the way you have these animals set up. As it is they are not very common in the trade, and can be very difficult to keep and breed. Your temperatures sound perfect, but you absolutely need to change their set up if you have any interest in the animals well being. They are not salamanders, they are arboreal geckos.

And FYI, they WILL NOT breed like this and most likely won't survive much longer in this set up.
    -Armen
    Rhacodactylus, Uroplatusrhacsetc@yahoo.com