Thread: Safe soil question.

Thanks

Default Safe soil question.

Hello. I just picked up some miracle grow potting soil. It is organic and doesn't say anything about fertilizer or perlite in it. I tried searching the forum and i found a couple old threads. I didn't see any definate answers wether it is safe or not. From what I can tell, this was the best option that i have seen the past few days that I have been looking but i don't know much about plants and soil. It is organic. Here are a couple pics. Is it safe to use and does anyone else use it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2053.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	19317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2054.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	19318

I already have a planted terrarium set up but i am using only eco earth for the plants. As you can see in the pic below, the plants could be doing better and this is why i want to mix soil into it. That is my new girl "Harley" on the bamboo. I had her for a week now and she is adjusting great in her new home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2052.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	19319

I set the terrarium up about a month ago and i am just not happy with the condition of the plants so any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any natural fertelizer that is safe to use in a crestie tank or is it even necessary when i put soil in it. I stopped in at one of those hydroponics places and they have some stuff called liquid fish and there is also bat guano AKA poop fertilizers. I am just curious about the fertilizers. I will be putting moss down once i get some soil in there. Also, likely going to try to make a magnetic feeding ledge this weekend after I get the soil situation straightened out. Thanks.

Thanks

I use the miracle grow mix, and then I add in sphagnum moss and orchid bark to help aerate the soil and prevent compaction. If your plants are wilting like that, it could be because they're starting to suffer root rot. Although since they're in a mix void of nutrients, I guess that could cause them to look like that too.

How much sunlight do the plants get?

Thanks

Thanks Zeetwii. I figured it was mostly cause of no nutrientswhen I saw the pothos not doing so good. Growing up my mom always had pothos growing around the kitchen with absolutely no natural light getting to it and it was thriving. No I don't have any natural light but I do have a fixture with a 2.0 or 5.0 bulb that I will probably set up today. So you use the exact same stuff? Just want to mAke sure. Also, I will mix it with the Eco earth and cover it with moss but should I also mix some moss into the dirt. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks again for the help!