Thread: Corns Hatching

Thanks

Default Corns Hatching

I've got a clutch of corn snakes hatching at the moment. The particular female through me 17 eggs (which is large for a first clutch) but only 4 were fertile. One has hatched and am awaiting the pipping of the other three. The outcome so far for the hatchling surprised me. I was expecting normals and amels from this clutch. But sure enough, here I am with a little anery. Anyways, here a couple pics of the first one to hatch.

Thanks,
    -Adam

Thanks

I really screwed up this time folks! I am so angry at myself at the moment. I decided with one of the eggs that was very very dented in that it was just time to get that one open. I found out the hard way it was just simply too low of humidity (caved in shell). I opened the egg to find a tiny embryo, coiled up about the size of a dime, perfectly healthy. It was a snow. It was perfectly healthy; its heart visibly beating. But how could it be so undeveloped still when the egg it was actually stuck to hatched a fully formed healthy baby?! I am speechless at the moment so I am just going to cut this short. I've added water to the container and you can mark my words, that was the last egg I will EVER slit open.
    -Adam

Thanks

I dont know if its true for corns, but for ball pythons color is the last thing to develop, so if the baby were undeveloped it could have looked very different from what it normally would have full term.

Do cornsnake eggs normally develop at such variable rates?

Thanks

In corn snakes, there is little to no variation in developing rates. A clutch usually hatched within three days of eachother. That being the reason why I am so dumbfounded as to how it could be so undeveloped. The egg it was actually stuck to, hatched a fully developed baby! Oh well, we must learn from our mistakes in order to gain knowledge...
    -Adam