Thread: New PETS!!!!

Thanks

Default New PETS!!!!

i just picked up 1.2 hissing cockroaches. i know some people are freaked out by them but i think they are cool!!!! ron
    1 sulcata tort 1 russian tort 2 red foot torts 3 hingeback torts
    1 leopard tort 3 greek torts 1 box turtle
    2.5 hissing cockroaches 3.11.?? c. hentzi scorpions dubia roch colony
    isopod colony 3.5 Emperor scorpions 2.5 c. vitattus scorpions
    4.6.1 crested geckos 1.1 halmahera geckos 0.0.3 leopard geckos
    1.1.7 gargoyle geckos

Thanks

Congrats on the hissers, I would like to get a few myself in the future. Do you use a bedding in their enclosure or just keep them like Dubia ?
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

i keep them on damp cypress mulch(i have a lot of it for the torts). i put a couple of big pieces of bark in their keeper for hide areas. They are huge-close to 3" plus. Fed them cooked sweet potatoe and greens last night and they inhaled it. ron
    1.1.7 gargoyle geckos

Thanks

I agree with you that they are pretty cool, especially the horns on the males but I don't think that I can keep them if they need bedding. Unfortunately I have horrible allergies with certain things, even my Dubia get to me sometimes if I let them go to long without cleaning the tub. Strange part is I never had allergies until I was 27 and they have gotten worse ever since, lol. Lots of luck with them, post some pics if you can.
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

I don't think its so weird to like your roaches. I am pretty bemused by my Dubia. I will now tell you the tale I've told everyone and their mom- but I was shuffling through a Dubia bin and an adult female was perched out in the open. So I took a large dried flake of CGD I had scraped from a bowl (this story just gets grosser and grosser for some folks I guess haha!) and just handed it to her. She took it and it was pretty darn cute. Just reached out and took it from me! Pretty darn smitten with them, even if I do feed them off.

With a trio.. are you planning on breeding some feeders?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobeyxxl View Post
    Strange part is I never had allergies until I was 27 and they have gotten worse ever since, lol.
    Allergies can be notorious for just randomly showing up one day :/
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

Right now the hissers are going to be pets. i guess if they breed, i may try them as feeders. i have just started a dubia colony for feeders for the cresties. Also have a colony of sow bugs and pill pugs. i raise mealworms to use as fishbait and turtle food. Sooooooo many bugs! ron
    1.1.7 gargoyle geckos

Thanks

Hissers are cute. I started out with about 40 and now I have TONS lol. My favorite part is seeing what color morphs come out through the generations!

Thanks

I kept mine just like dubias- no substrate and lots of egg crate, and they bred well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StellarAwesome View Post
    I don't think its so weird to like your roaches. I am pretty bemused by my Dubia. I will now tell you the tale I've told everyone and their mom- but I was shuffling through a Dubia bin and an adult female was perched out in the open. So I took a large dried flake of CGD I had scraped from a bowl (this story just gets grosser and grosser for some folks I guess haha!) and just handed it to her. She took it and it was pretty darn cute. Just reached out and took it from me! Pretty darn smitten with them, even if I do feed them off.

With a trio.. are you planning on breeding some feeders?

Allergies can be notorious for just randomly showing up one day :/
    Second this. I put my dubias in a clear tub and actually moved them to my computer room so I could watch them. They are so fascinating. Totally my favorite feeder animal.
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

I rather like my female dubias to be honest lol The males squik me though x.x A friend of mine got into 'b lats' as feeders and showed me a pic...omg...couldn't handle it! Hissers personally freak me out because they are huge and HISS!!! I'm actually trying to get more females for my colony since the ONLY person local will only sell in pairs (one male per one female >.<) I really just want about 10 more females and few more starters but really don't want to mess with the males! (If I get too many from my colony I'll sell them off and only keep what I need to keep the colony going lol)

Kind of a cute story about feeding some CGD to them though! I think I'll try that tonight when I make my rounds lol.