Thread: Couple questions about tail loss....

Thanks

Question Couple questions about tail loss....

So my younger crestie which is about 6 months old decided to drop its tail in the middle of the night on Saturday while I was sleeping. When I woke up I was extreamly shocked that this had happened, since it is housed alone and I have no other pets (or people) that could have aided in the dislodging of its tail. When I found it I went to pick it up expecting it to run away and hide like it usually does when I try to interact with it, but to my surprise I was able to pick it up and hold it for a good 5 minutes with no problems (leading me to momentarily think that it was dead).So I guess my first question is, do cresties sometimes just drop their tails for no known reason?
    I currently have it in a smaller tank so I can keep and eye on it better to make sure their is no infection on the tail stub. What would be signs of an infection?

The conditions in the tank the night of the tail loss was between 69-71F and about 88% humidity. Which is the same as I keep both my tanks dureing the winter, as I have single pane windows and water heat (yuck).

Thanks

I've had this happen too, but only once I think. Some loud noise, the tail getting stuck in foliage or branches, the baby fell, the list goes on and on as to why this could happen. It tends to happen more in babies as well, as they'd really like to do everything they can to survive to adulthood.
    Working towards my goal of red and cream pinstripe cresteds!
    Visit my Facebook Fan Page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/GirlZi...s/111960124706

Thanks

Alright thanks. I did find its tail underneath a branch I have in the cage, so I had a feeling that might be the case.

Thanks

I wouldn't go by that necessarily, the tail flails around wildly after being dropped so it could have flipped around the entire cage!
    Working towards my goal of red and cream pinstripe cresteds!
    Visit my Facebook Fan Page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/GirlZi...s/111960124706

Thanks

Oh right, they wigle around to distract potential predators. Oh wells still love the little guy, still cute as a button.