Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving with Geckos, some advice/info

Thanks

Default Moving with Geckos, some advice/info

Needed** My computer glitched and didn't add that to the title... wish I could edit the title xD

So I'm moving to the South, from the NorthEast coming up next month. I havn't figured out a couple of things in my plan to move my geckos with me,... should I find the smallest critter keeper to house them in while moving or should I just leave them in their current houses? Some are in 10Gals, some are in the largest critter keepers. I plan on upgrading everyone when I get down south, due to space in the car. It wouldn't allow all the 10Gals/20Gals. I'll have 6 Geckos at time of moving.

I plan on being on the road for 4days and staying in hotels for 3nights. Also, since I am stopping for the night... would you say feed them in the hotel or wait to feed them till I'm home and they're all settled down from the move?

Just seeking some advice on those two things, and if anyone can help or even give me a better game plan it would be awesome. Shipping isn't available, due to the weather still being so extreme (well for the Geckos) in night Temps right now only giving me a few decent nights randomly and I can't trust one to be around when I'm leaving.

Thank you in advance for the help.
    FaceBook Page
    Lots of Crested Geckos and Corn Snakes :: 1.0 Western HogNose :: 2.1 - Kenyan Sand Boa :: 1.0 - Cat :: 0.1 - Corgi :: 0.1 - Leopard Geckos

Thanks

I've never had an all-out move with geckos, but I have transported them and one of my guys I bought on the road (and then had my car break down).

Since you'll be traveling for a few days, I think leaving them in their enclosures will reduce some stress (being stuck in a tiny Critter Keeper would not make me happy!). Just make sure there's nothing in there that could potentially fall on them should you have to make an abrupt stop. I'd vote not to feed them during the move, since they probably won't eat anyway; just keep 'em well-misted.

Good luck!
    Crested Geckos: 20.15.3.4 | Gargoyles: 1.2 | Leachianus: 0.2 | Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1
    White-Lined Geckos: 1.1.0.3 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Crocodile Gecko: 0.1.1 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 0.1.1
    Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | Lionhead Bunny: 0.1
    [-| iHerp |-]

Thanks

I know it may seem a bit counter-intuitive but if it's for a couple of days I do recommend using deli cups, in a nicely insulated box that you keep with you. Here's the reasons I prefer this -

1) In larger tanks, more room for bouncing around/possibly hurting themselves, stuff in the tank can fly around if you don't take it out...
    2) heaven forbid, what would happen in a crash... if they are in a well-padded box there would probably be less chance of being hurt than if they were in a tank.
    3) In deli cups in a box, you can easily bring them inside with you whenever you have to make a pit stop instead of worrying if temps in the car are too hot/too cold.

With only 6 geckos, you can easily set them up in temp homes in the hotel rooms if you feel uncomfortable keeping them in deli cups. I would probably make sure they are misted well at night, and probably not worry too much about feeding until you get home -unless- you end up taking longer than 4 days to get to your home.

Thanks

Thanks guys, and I'll probably get a couple small keepers for the ones in the giant keepers and tanks for the nights. My two smallest should do fine in a decent deli cup throughout the trip. When I actually do move and finish, I'll post on how it went. Adding a bit more with a game plan on the help given.

It shouldn't take longer then 4days, I don't like leaving animals (myself included in this xD) cooped up in a car/small areas longer then they have to be. Most my stuff will be in the trailer. Only a few things will be in the car, mainly the stuff that can't be in a tote and I don't trust damaging in the trailer. The Geckos I'll put in the box and put it in my passenger seat with the box buckled in, so if I have to hit the brakes they won't go flying onto the hamster cage.
    FaceBook Page
    Lots of Crested Geckos and Corn Snakes :: 1.0 Western HogNose :: 2.1 - Kenyan Sand Boa :: 1.0 - Cat :: 0.1 - Corgi :: 0.1 - Leopard Geckos

Thanks

The one thing I will mention... the only time I tried moving a gecko in its regular-sized enclosure, when I got it to its destination, it was so upset that it immediately threw its tail when I set the enclosure down in the new home. It also spent most of the trip squiggling around like crazy in the bigger enclosure, when it was a normally calm gecko. Just a one time experience, but it is what it is.

Thanks

We moved from Western NY to Arizona at the end of September and I used deli cups and sandwich sized Rubbermaid containers. Kept them in a cooler for stable temps and it was easy to bring them into the hotel at night. I misted them each night, offered food one night part way through the trip (4 days) and everyone did just fine.

Thanks

Awesome, I'm doing NH to Tx so we're almost going about the same path =3. What type of cooler, Styrofoam or the plastic kind?
    FaceBook Page

Thanks

Well to do a little update, I'm about 440miles into my trip. Staying in PA overnight. I have them in little glad tubs with air holes and so far everyone is doing fine and dandy. I let them out when I got to the room for a little bit, one at a time, for a little leg stretching time. No problems with anyone at all. I crack the lids at each rest stop to give them some fresh air. They got a paper towel in bottle and I just misted them down, they'll get a fully dry paper towel for the morning.
    FaceBook Page

Thanks

Deli cups and small kritter keepers. Stack them neatly in a box and have someone hold them while in transit. Best of luck. Remember the less time the less stress!
    Thank You! -
    I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
    http://www.geckodome.com

Thanks

saddly its over 2000 miles so night stops are needed. I'm trying to go as long as I can each day before stopping. I didn't have any deli cups so I went with what I had, they got air holes punched in the sides and in the lid ^^.
    FaceBook Page