Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SERIOUS GRAPHIC WARNING: A feeding "Don't"

Thanks

Default SERIOUS GRAPHIC WARNING: A feeding "Don't"

I know this is a gecko forum, but some of us keep other reptiles. Had to put this poor guy down a few days ago. His owner had given him a live rat, left him and didn't check 'til the next day. This is what she woke up to. I guess it just sucks to be a snake if your owner is dumber then a bag of hammers.

~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Thats horrable, I lost one snake like that. I was on vacation and the dumbass (fired him) put in a live mouse and just forgot about it....killing my amazon tree boa
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Wow, what a sad set of photos...

Thanks

I lost my first milksnake that way. The little mouse chewed the head totaly off a 30" milk. I could not beleive it at the time but, at the time every one I knew only feed live mice as it "stimulated natural behavior". Now I only use prekilled frozen mice. Thanks for sharing Dr.Allen.
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

Wow, those are some deep freaking wounds...the one looks like the rat was knawing on it's vertebrae...Why'd you have to put it down though? Was damage really that deep and severe (hard to get a prospective from a 2d image...)?
    Honor and valor were long ago drowned by the very society they swore to protect.

8.10.9 Crested Geckos
    1.2 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.1 Tangerine Phase Albino AFT's
    0.3 Peach Phase Albino AFT's (two are striped)
    1.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.2 Viper Geckos
    1.1 Yellow-headed Cape Geckos
    0.1 Panther Geckos
    There'll be more, just you wait and see

http://www.celticisle.com/infernal_star/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infernal_star View Post
    Why'd you have to put it down though? Was damage really that deep and severe (hard to get a prospective from a 2d image...)?
    In the largest wound, the skin and muscle were missing to a depth of nearly a centimeter over an area encompassing more then 35% of the snake's girth, and the two largest wounds were virtually connected. The skin that seems to be bridging the gap between the wounds (see third and fourth pics) was separated from the underlying tissue and would have sloughed, leaving an even more massive open cavity. Balancing the remote liklihood of this healing (and that would take years with a snake) against the issues of infection, pain and dehydration, the decision wasn't difficult. The snake was about a millimeter away from having an open coelomic cavity; you can see the thin membrane which is all that is left covering his internal organs in the second and third pictures. In a mammal, the prognosis is much better with wounds of this nature.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Oh my gosh, it is just getting worser now a days I see more and more of these cases where a snake will be left alone with it's food. Poor snake
    Its geckolicious!
    http://amreptiles.webs.com/

Thanks

Geezus!!! That's so sad. How long has the owner kept this snake....what was she thinking?!
    ~ Raquel ~

"Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you" ~ John Adams

Thanks

Wow, just so sad. Poor guy, at least he is in a better place. When I have to feed live I hardly even leave the room. The snake looks older though, I mean not a hatchling or any thing. How long did the owner have the snake?
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cml3.0 View Post
    How long did the owner have the snake?
    The owner had had this unfortunate snake for only a month. Teenybopper; maybe eighteen, with an entourage. Dyed blonde with too much black eye makeup. Belly shirt a size too small with hip huggers worn so low that her pubic hair was showing. Clearly interested in the snake only insofar as the big reptile shock value went. Sounds judgemental, doesn't it? I guess I was at the time....
    ~Alan