Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (HELP) 4 Eggs in 1 Month?- Is This Normal?

Thanks

Question (HELP) 4 Eggs in 1 Month?- Is This Normal?

Hello Everyone! Just had a question, I currently have an adult female crested that's 38g and a male crsted that's about 35g. This is my first time breeding them and I've had them together in the same enclosure and no other cresteds for about a month. Only, I recently found two eggs in her laybox on the 19th of this month and again yesterday (21st). Is it normal for a female crested to lay more than 2 eggs a month and has this ever happened to anybody else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

It's not normal, but I have heard people mention it. However, is it possible that she laid the first eggs a few weeks before you found them? How do they look? It's possible she was retaining infertile eggs before being introduced to the male and just wasn't comfortable laying them earlier.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

There could've been no way she laid eggs before I found them because I always check her laybox if I notice any changes in the dirt layout. It's also very strange because after she laid her first clutch of 2 eggs I checked the female crested and noticed that she felt bumpy on her sides right by her back legs and noticed she was still messing with her laybox. Then 2 days later I found the other clutch and I felt for her bumps and didn't find any anymore. The first clutch of eggs looks fertile, the second so far don't look fertile but I'm incubating them just in case and until I see any changes.

Thanks

If you're 100% sure that she didn't lay them earlier, perhaps she was eggbound for a bit, and so had two sets going?

Does she appear to be OK now- doesn't look dehydrated, no kinked tail, anything like that?

Thanks

Are you sure you have a male and a female? Maybe it is 2 females laying their infertiles

Thanks

Yeah, she looks alright, nothing unusual like what you mentioned before (e.i. dehydrated, no kinked tail). I think you're right though, it seems like the crestie might've been eggbound. And yes I'm positive I have a male and female. Thanks for your responses, I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Do you know how to check calcium sacks? I would probably double check those also.
    The Gecko Garden on Facebook - IHerp http://iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.asp...f-3b7f36b4d856

Thanks

Yes, I do. I checked in fact, and it looks like her calcium sacks are almost full and bright white also. I assume the lack of calcium in a female crested would create problems once she starts her egg development cycle and could be a reason for egg impaction.

Thanks

To be honest I don't fully know considering I didn't get my first eggs. (See my post) But from what I heard I do not beleive this is normal.

Thanks

one of my 5 females lays her eggs at the bottom of the lay box and the lay substrate looks not disturbed. My other girls make a huge mess and its obvious that they were in the box. Now this season I see my girls in the lay boxes all the time. Maybe they aren't as shy anymore.
    Dobermanns 1:1 and waiting on new imports.Titles- SD,TDI,CGC,CD,RN,PP
    Chow 0:1
    Cats 3:1
    Crested Geckos 7:4:7:6
    Ball Python 1:0