Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *GRAPHIC* Example of how seriously Tokays take parenting *GRAPHIC*

Thanks

Default *GRAPHIC* Example of how seriously Tokays take parenting *GRAPHIC*

I've had people inquire on either getting a mate for a previously owned Tokay or wanting to be informed when I have unrelated offspring to one they have already acquired. I give the same warning to each of them about how protective this species is over their offspring and how their former companion will not be interested in handling.

Those familiar with my crew should know Tornado, my biggest male from my second normal breeding pair, and how he has been one of my best handlers from the start. He was the Tokay that sat on the table to be pet when NARBC was held in Houston and was pet/held by people all day including small kids. When paired up with his previous mate, Fujita, he mostly stayed to back of the tank and let her guard the kids. Currently paired with Storm, he has become more protective of his mate and their eggs, as seen here where they were waiting for their tank to be thoroughly cleaned last night.

Now let me point out that I have not directly messed with either Storm nor Tornado since 12/31/11 and Storm has since begun laying eggs, the second pair found only four days ago. I say directly because I have entered the tank to write the dates on each set of eggs and mist them periodically. I pulled these two out, put them in the kritter keeper, cleaned their tank, and paused to weigh them before setting them back in their tank. Tornado showed his disapproval of being removed from his offspring on the way back by latching onto my palm and gouging out two bites by thrashing and half 'death rolling'.

I share this wanting people to understand how defensive this species is to it's offspring currently regardless of background. I say it this way because I am not yet breeding two animals that I have raised from eggs so I do not know if that can make a difference. I merely want to further help people understand the reasoning behind this species' natural behavior that tends to give them a bad reputation.
    19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
    7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
    1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider
    www.SpottedScales.com *** Spotted Scales FB

Thanks

Note to Self: Never get a Tokay!

If I find out cresties or gargs bite like this...those will be gone too! LOL

Thanks

That's the point of this thread: Tokays should either be a pet/companion or a breeder, not both. Cresties lays their eggs and think nothing of their offspring again (with the exception of seeing them as potential prey) where Tokays will guard their offspring from egg until the baby leaves which could be months after hatching

EDIT: And btw, I've seen Crestie bites as well so they are capable of doing damage if they so choose
    19.21.10.45 Tokay Geckos: Normals, Granites, Patternless, Calico/Pieds, Hets, & Unproven Aberrants
    7.6.0.16 Other Gekko species *** 1.1 Leachianus *** 5.10.7 Geckolepis maculata & typica Fish Scaled Geckos *** 1.0 CB Knight Anole
    1.2 Pachydactylus tigrinus *** 1.0 Pyxie Frog *** 10 Tarantulas & 1 Jumping Spider

Thanks

You might want to pick up a pair of these http://www.kimbersafety.com/proddeta...prod=ANE97-505

Name:  Kevlar glove.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  10.9 KB
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

I'd rather not, but thanks. I've found it's hard to tell how I'm holding them and it only further upsets them. I have a pair of ski gloves I use on my 1 unhandleable animal. Considering I've currently have 11 adult Tokays and have had almost half a dozen others since I started breeding them and this is only the second bite of this caliber, I think I'm good. Been almost 2 years exactly since the first one, too.

Thanks

GIRL!!!!
    Hmmm....maybe Maxwell will not get a girlfriend!
    I think 5 species of geckos is enough! Lets not talk about the snakes!

Thanks

This is why I love of Tokays from a distance...preferrably from responsible owner's pictures; gorgeous geckos!!!

Hope your hand heals quickly, I just cringed when I saw that nice chuck of flesh gone.

Thanks

I think my kids need to be redeemed. G: breed Maxwell and keep your big rescue boy as your buddy, he likes handling better anyways.

Tornado and Black Frost (who will top out way bigger than Tornado eventually and is already within 5 grams of him) at NARBC Houston with random passerby kids

Black Frost with my 15 month old nephew (who just wanted to knock on the window at the dog)

Sericinda has one of my kids and has videos of that crazy child demanding back and belly rubs. These guys are the Pitbulls of the gecko world: they have a nasty reputation due to their natural born defense. You can teach them not to be defensive to you under normal circumstances, but you can't teach them not to defend their kids. If they stayed the size of Cresteds they wouldn't be looked at so badly, but they are in the top 3 of the largest geckos in the world. And actually my Leachianus tear me up more and as bad than my Tokays, I just don't handle them to avoid it.

Thanks

Great photos!!!!

Thanks

Impressive! Those are two good chunks out of a pretty tough part of the hand, and not a particularly fun area to have healing either.