Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who keeps fatties?

Thanks

Default Who keeps fatties?

I've been consumed with fat tails lately. They seem to be an amazing investment gecko with tons of current and future potential. So far I'm leaning towards the hypos, whiteouts, and caramels. I really like the amels (albinos), but I've heard they have been proved out to be fatal when bred with anything besides granites which I'm not too interested in.

If you keep them post some pictures here. I'd love to see what the Pangea folk are keeping and breeding these days.
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Thanks

Sorry, I don't how I started two threads...oops.

Thanks

I've looked at these guys, but I don't particularly like their look, mainly in colors, but also especially how awkward their regenerated tails tend to grow as. The real main reason is because a lot of people compare them to leos, and I have had the worse experience with leos, and the good ones have been amazingly boring, lazy, and disliking of handling.

Thanks

The tails do look pretty nasty regenerated, but on a lot of professional breeders websites I don't see them having too many of them. I've read a lot about how fatties are one of the most docile reptiles as adults, much more than leos. I've held a few adults at shows and I was always pleased with them. They move very slowly, I highly like lazy/slow reptiles. I find it much more enjoyable to not have to constantly worrying about them trying to escape.

In the recent few years the amount of new morphs have really taken off, especially the combos.

Thanks

I keep them and love them! There little faces with big doe eyes peering out watching your every move to see what goodie you may be bringing tonight, or the way they wiggle their tail before they pounce on their food! Adorable! I'm going to be trying to take some updated pix this weekend....so I'll be back But if you can't wait...they are on my iherp (link in signature). I really want an oreo and a whiteout! Maybe next year

PS...Shenzi, you should really stop spreading rumors of your horrid leo experiences I have 10 of them currently and they are all sweet as pie, and most do not mind being handled at all!

Thanks

Lol Shenzi, must you always be so negative? Trying to be happy here and talk about enjoying a species! C:

Eel, I have a banded caramel albino and two striped females. From the get-go I have always loved these guys, they are so gentle and so sweet. My big fat girl Stella is who I bring out when people come over who are nervous around reptiles, she's a perfect outreach animal and very tolerant of humans. My other female Saiha is very energetic and inquisitive, and boy oh boy are her hunting instincts honed! My male, Rei, tells me when it's time to mist his tank, he comes out and stares at me, and he loves coming out and watching what I'm doing when I'm bumbling around near his cage. I have deep affection for these guys, they're big sweet balls of lard, ahaha.

Old pic, but here's the trio marching together. Top to bottom, Stellaluna, Saiha, and Rei:
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

Stell is a real fatty... how true to her species. XD

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    The tails do look pretty nasty regenerated, but on a lot of professional breeders websites I don't see them having too many of them. I've read a lot about how fatties are one of the most docile reptiles as adults, much more than leos. I've held a few adults at shows and I was always pleased with them. They move very slowly, I highly like lazy/slow reptiles. I find it much more enjoyable to not have to constantly worrying about them trying to escape.

In the recent few years the amount of new morphs have really taken off, especially the combos.
    Every leo I've held from an actual breeder has been flightly as hell, like a rat snake you pulled out of a bush.

No disagreement there! The possibilities for AFTs is getting pretty nice. I just hope they don't start naming morphs like they have with leos. >.<
    And of course, the morphs I like are the expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbowling View Post
    PS...Shenzi, you should really stop spreading rumors of your horrid leo experiences I have 10 of them currently and they are all sweet as pie, and most do not mind being handled at all!
    Rumors don't bite!

Thanks

Rumors however highly discourage people from working with the species. And it is hard to give a good insight on the species as a pet if you have never owned them.

Yes fatties are a bit more shy, however they do make wonderful pets. I have yet to meet a fatty that was antisocial in the sense of it thrown fits about being held. And leos are not boring if you have them housed right, people give them bland tanks not realizing they are from fairly rocky areas, give them ledges and they are always out climbing. And mine are far from boring, they are out at all times. Do remember when giving advice you have to remember yours is not the only one out there. It is far better to state my pet leos in my past have proven to be less active than other species which I personally prefer a more active species then going out and saying they are sooooooo freaking boring.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlbowling View Post
    I keep them and love them! There little faces with big doe eyes peering out watching your every move to see what goodie you may be bringing tonight, or the way they wiggle their tail before they pounce on their food! Adorable! I'm going to be trying to take some updated pix this weekend....so I'll be back But if you can't wait...they are on my iherp (link in signature). I really want an oreo and a whiteout! Maybe next year

I look into your iherp, great looking fatties. I am very into the amels, but since their designer mixes are basically non-existent I'm not sure if I want to work with them, at least at first. I'll be on the lookout for the new pictures. When I used to keep leos watching them wiggle their tails before eating was my favorite part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihkura View Post
    Lol Shenzi, must you always be so negative? Trying to be happy here and talk about enjoying a species! C:

Eel, I have a banded caramel albino and two striped females. From the get-go I have always loved these guys, they are so gentle and so sweet. My big fat girl Stella is who I bring out when people come over who are nervous around reptiles, she's a perfect outreach animal and very tolerant of humans. My other female Saiha is very energetic and inquisitive, and boy oh boy are her hunting instincts honed! My male, Rei, tells me when it's time to mist his tank, he comes out and stares at me, and he loves coming out and watching what I'm doing when I'm bumbling around near his cage. I have deep affection for these guys, they're big sweet balls of lard, ahaha.

Old pic, but here's the trio marching together. Top to bottom, Stellaluna, Saiha, and Rei:
    Great looking group you have! Thanks for the pic. I think caramels will be my starting point, then moving up to getting a whiteout het caramel and hopefully a hypo. I think it's fascinating that they have eyelids and I've read a lot about how these guys like to eat. I think they'd put my roach colony to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
    Stell is a real fatty... how true to her species. XD

Every leo I've held from an actual breeder has been flightly as hell, like a rat snake you pulled out of a bush.

No disagreement there! The possibilities for AFTs is getting pretty nice. I just hope they don't start naming morphs like they have with leos. >.<
    And of course, the morphs I like are the expensive ones.

Rumors don't bite!
    Picking up some fatties would be ideal for me, I really dislike flighty species. Rhacs can be, but not enough to discourage me from keeping them. How could I say no to those faces? I had 2 leos around 5 or so years ago. I really enjoyed them, but I sold them when I joined the military. I really don't want to get into another saturated market like leos considering I currently keep a few different New Caledonian species and ball pythons. It would be nice to have some more freedom and the pleasure of making some of the newest combos around. The morphs and combos out today are stunning to me, I don't think the end is anywhere in sight. I believe it's just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    Rumors however highly discourage people from working with the species. And it is hard to give a good insight on the species as a pet if you have never owned them.

Yes fatties are a bit more shy, however they do make wonderful pets. I have yet to meet a fatty that was antisocial in the sense of it thrown fits about being held. And leos are not boring if you have them housed right, people give them bland tanks not realizing they are from fairly rocky areas, give them ledges and they are always out climbing. And mine are far from boring, they are out at all times. Do remember when giving advice you have to remember yours is not the only one out there. It is far better to state my pet leos in my past have proven to be less active than other species which I personally prefer a more active species then going out and saying they are sooooooo freaking boring.
    Thanks for your perspective on the rumors, I think fatties fit the bill perfectly for me.

Thanks

I keep 2.4 fatties and have bred them for the past 3 seasons. They are really easy to hold and watching the juvies hunting down crickets is really fun. I love the whiteouts but won't purchase any until (if this ever happens) they get down below $200. My groups have given me some really pretty amels and some "normals" who are unusually light and orangy.

Aliza