Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuck, tiny bugs in my crestie tank! What are they?

Thanks

Default Yuck, tiny bugs in my crestie tank! What are they?

My male Crested Gecko, Taji, lives in an 18x18x36 enclosure with paper towels for substrate. Today when I went to remove some poop and shed skin I noticed a bunch of tiny little bugs moving around on the paper towel. I've never had this problem before and quite honestly I freaked out a bit. I removed Taji and looked him over. I couldn't find any bugs on him. I then proceeded to take everything out, wash it all in hot water, and disinfect his tank. They are light brown in color. I thought maybe gnats, but there were not any adults flying about. He did have some crickets in his tank for a few days, perhaps they brought something with them?

Please help me figure out what they are, thank you!

Video clip below

1.2.0 Crested Gecko | Taji, Korra & Sienna

Thanks

They look kinda like springtails. So far away it's a hard call though. If they were springs they would have made a good cleanup crew.

If they weren't on Taji I wouldn't think they are mites.... but I have been known to be wrong before; happened once back in '95.

After the sterilization I would imagine they are all gone. Paper towel substrate would be pretty bereft of benefit for any creepy crawly though, so I imagine that they would have died in short order no matter of origin.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if they are springtails, they did seem to be mostly around his poop though.

Thanks

Bump! I'm still finding these bugs, despite stripping down his tank and cleaning everything weekly. They are always around his feces.

New video clip:
    http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=d79dd1b7.mp4
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Do you have any pictures of his tank? Mostly any wood pieces. They do look like mites... But for a Gecko I'm not sure... I had a small prob with my snake when I introduced a new piece of furniture... Its always a good idea to freeze and bake any new wood furniture... I would suggest cleaning his tank with very deluded Bleech,(make sure you rinse and repeat thoroughly) and once it dries, buying a bottle of Zoo Med Mite off ( http://www.petco.com/product/105902/...-Mite-Off.aspx ). You can spray it on a cloth and rub down your Gecko as well... Trying to avoid direct contact with his eye, a Q-Tip and a steady hand will help around the eyes, and mouth.
    Tony

2.0.0 Rolo, Cheez It

Thanks

That is the weird part... The only wood in the tank I got at a reptile expo a few years back. Nothing else new has been added to the tank other than some moss. I've had my Crestie for a few years and this was never a problem until February of this year. Can live crickets carry mites? Right around when this all started I bought a box of Crickets from Petco, which was stupid on my part because who knows where they come from. I will definietely take your advice on disinfecting and trying the mite spray.

Here is a picture of his set-up.

Thanks

It is possible they could have been introduced via the crickets, it is also possible that they came with the moss as well... Over the years I have read many Threads of infested Moss/Substrate.
    Tony

2.0.0 Rolo, Cheez It

Thanks

Turns out that these little bugs were living in the moss I had stuffed in the fake plant's pot. I haven't had anymore problems since removing the moss.

Thanks

Eeeeew. Glad you figured it out and got it taken care of!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

I get them in vivs with bark...They don't ever seem to appear unless I'm using bark. If I don't bake it every 2 months or so the little things become plainly visible. They're soooo freaking tiny, that's it's impossible for me to determine what they actually are...I'm guessing springtails as they don't seem to "behave" like any species of mite that I've delt with. They definitely don't seem to bother the geckos....mine DEFINITELY come from the crickets...This whole convo is making me itch like a mutha...
    We're gonna need a bigger boat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chockablock For This Useful Post:

Akire (05-25-2012)