Thread: Is it true that a gecko will not grow as fast in a smaller viv ??

Thanks

Question Is it true that a gecko will not grow as fast in a smaller viv ??

I was told that my gecko would grow alot slower in my 12x12x18 .... I was also told that he may possibly never outgrow it ??

Is this true ??

Thanks in advance !!!

Thanks

No, it's not true.
    Most young geckos will grow faster in a smaller cage, as they can more easily find their food in a smaller cage as opposed to a bigger cage, where they may have trouble finding their food.

Thanks

It's very untrue. If things really did stop growing according to the size of their tank, we'd have a species of miniature chibi geckos (and beardies and iguanas and goldfish...)

I don't know if I completely agree with the theory of not being able to find their food. I think it's more they have more space to move around and work it off faster than a gecko who has to climb five inches (exaggeration) to get from food to top of tank. I'd like to believe that the animal with more space is healthier in the long run than the animal that has very little space to excersize in.
    2:0:0 White's tree frogs
    0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
    0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daystorm View Post
    It's very untrue. If things really did stop growing according to the size of their tank, we'd have a species of miniature chibi geckos (and beardies and iguanas and goldfish...)

I don't know if I completely agree with the theory of not being able to find their food. I think it's more they have more space to move around and work it off faster than a gecko who has to climb five inches (exaggeration) to get from food to top of tank. I'd like to believe that the animal with more space is healthier in the long run than the animal that has very little space to excersize in.
    I agree. I have been housing cresteds in a six foot tall by four foot wide enclosure and have witnessed much more activity when comparing to those that were housed in a 18 inch high enclosure. Stickiness, jumping, and speed all seemed to have increased since I introduced them to a much taller enclosure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daystorm View Post
    When it comes to babies and juvies, time and again I've seen better improvement in growth when they've had size-related enclsoures (ie: small babies in shoe boxes etc). I fully agree, however, with giving adults plenty of room. They will use what is given- but with babies, I just want them to be healthy and eat. And they seem to feel more comfortable doing so in a smaller enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by kurthartlaub View Post
    I agree. I have been housing cresteds in a six foot tall by four foot wide enclosure and have witnessed much more activity when comparing to those that were housed in a 18 inch high enclosure. Stickiness, jumping, and speed all seemed to have increased since I introduced them to a much taller enclosure
    Well of course. The more room they have to do more things in, the more you'll notice them doing it. An adult in a 10 gallon can't be as active as one in a 50.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook