Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pet Reptile?

Thanks

Default Favorite Pet Reptile?

So far, my favorite is the leopard gecko. They are active a lot of the time and extremely cute and fun to watch. The staple of their diet can be superworms, which is really convenient (moreso than CGD, even). Their terrariums are fun and easy to maintain (tile and brick instead of a particle substrate). They poop in one place. Haha.

I'm finding myself a little burnt out on cresteds. It's been a long time of keeping the same thing and, while they are cool in a lot of ways, they aren't really the best pets. So I am wondering what your guys' favorite reptiles are to keep as pets. Something that is fun to watch, relatively easy to keep, and interacts with you to some degree. Tortoises have kind of peaked my interest, but I'd also consider frogs/a frog or other lizard gecko species. I want to hear about anything that is your favorite, though!
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Thanks

Cool thread, Iím interested to see what everyone has as their favorite.

I've had my fair share of different species of reptiles and amphibians but I have to say this guy is by far my favorite. Ball pythons are normally incredibly docile, but usually lack personality and tend to be on the shy side. This guy has everything, calm temperament, inquisitive without always trying to get away, and tolerates head rubs. Snakes to me are one of the easiest best pets you can have (that is if you don't require affection in return). Food once every 5-10 days, change of water every few days, spot clean the messes (which they only do once a week or two), after your initial heat and humidity requirements are set it doesnít take much extra effort to keep them.

To me you can't get much better than that. Here is my male spider, Kilo.

I would personally recommend a crested gecko to someone as a first pet over all other animals, no heat, no lighting, no bugs (if you decide to), small enclosures, and normally calm. It all depends on what youíre looking for in a pet I guess. I don't really look for personality in reptiles, I have a cat for that. I look for easy care requirements and looks, snakes are my go to favorite reptile species by far.

Thanks for reading my small novel.
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    Cool thread, I’m interested to see what everyone has as their favorite.

I've had my fair share of different species of reptiles and amphibians but I have to say this guy is by far my favorite. Ball pythons are normally incredibly docile, but usually lack personality and tend to be on the shy side. This guy has everything, calm temperament, inquisitive without always trying to get away, and tolerates head rubs. Snakes to me are one of the easiest best pets you can have (that is if you don't require affection in return). Food once every 5-10 days, change of water every few days, spot clean the messes (which they only do once a week or two), after your initial heat and humidity requirements are set it doesn’t take much extra effort to keep them.

To me you can't get much better than that. Here is my male spider, Kilo.

I would personally recommend a crested gecko to someone as a first pet over all other animals, no heat, no lighting, no bugs (if you decide to), small enclosures, and normally calm. It all depends on what you’re looking for in a pet I guess. I don't really look for personality in reptiles, I have a cat for that. I look for easy care requirements and looks, snakes are my go to favorite reptile species by far.

Thanks for reading my small novel.
    Beautiful ball. We had one for a really long time and liked him. I agree that snakes are, hands down, the easiest pets ever. My only thing is that they hide all of the time (balls especially tend to do this) and we rarely take them out and handle them, so there is no real reason for us to have them. We missed having them after a long break and bought a KSB and a hognose, and while they're cool, I think we will probably sell them once the weather warms up because we still just rarely handle them.

I guess I don't care too much about whether the reptile interacts with me (although it's always a plus). Mostly I'd just like something that is active, rather than hiding all of the time. I didn't used to care about this about cresteds, but after years, I guess I'm just getting bored, and my leopards always make me smile.

Oh, and the only other thing about Nain (the ball python we used to have) was that he'd go off eating for months at a time sometimes, and that was really frustrating. But obviously that isn't just a ball thing, and I know that all ball pythons aren't the same.

Actually, the snake I wish we never sold was a rosy boa. It was our second snake and we didn't appreciate what an awesome snake we had.

Thanks

Very cool, I hear about a lot of people having problems with feeding but it hasn't happened to me in the 7 years I've kept snakes. I really like the secretive nature of snakes, but I know what you mean. It's nice to have something on display that you can watch. My bearded dragon isn't very active but he is always out in plain view. I've never liked feeding greens, it's a simple pain to me. I've had a handful of leos before and my favorite thing about them is watching their tails wag like little puppies when they go in for a kill.

When I get a house I want to make a large single species community enclosure. I'd love to watch all of them interact with each other. So much better than a fish tank. I have no idea what I'd get, I would need to spend a ton of time researching the idea.

Thanks

Very cool, I hear about a lot of people having problems with feeding but it hasn't happened to me in the 7 years I've kept snakes. I really like the secretive nature of snakes, but I know what you mean. It's nice to have something on display that you can watch. My bearded dragon isn't very active but he is always out in plain view. I've never liked feeding greens, it's a simple pain to me. I've had a handful of leos before and my favorite thing about them is watching their tails wag like little puppies when they go in for a kill.

When I get a house I want to make a large single species community enclosure. I'd love to watch all of them interact with each other. So much better than a fish tank. I have no idea what I'd get, I would need to spend a ton of time researching the idea.
    Sometimes you get lucky and get a snake that eats nearly every time. I had a red tail that was like that. Most likely, though, in your case, you just take really good care of them, is my guess (for you to have not had any problems after 7 years). Maybe our tank wasn't perfect for him. Snakes seem to be like that... if they are a little too cold/hot/wet/dry, then they seem to get attitude and go off eating. Just more sensitive, I guess.

Maybe I was under the wrong impression about beardies... it kind of sounds like I'm not the only one who has experienced a lazier one. Our two were always out in the open, but not usually being active as much as just lying there (or even sleeping). I worked at a pet store a while back where theirs were always very active, so I felt like I must be doing something wrong and the confusion/guilt ruined the enjoyment of keeping them as a pet, for me. But maybe the ones at the store were stressed... I'm not sure. Back when I worked there, I was still new to reptiles and learning about them.

I can't decide on the greens thing. It's a pain in that you have to cut them up every day and a lot of them wilt quickly, but it's nice not having to deal with insects, too (especially if you can't find a sitter that isn't creeped out by them). It's hard to beat superworms, in my opinion, though. You just keep them in bran and they pretty much live forever without you having to do anything else. They don't metamorphose as long as you don't separate them out. You don't have to make any food (like you do with CGD or greens) or do any clean up.

Yeah, I love the tail-wagging thing that leos do :-) And the screaming (except for the fact that they're scared when they do this... but they're so damn cute!). We keep 2 girls together in a 20-long. It would probably be better if we housed them separately, I suppose, but we've never really had any problems and they are both hefty girls with good calcium reserves, so I don't see any reason that I have to separate them.

Once I have the time and money (and less reptiles), I'm going to be all over starting a fish tank. I haven't had fish in years. I just love watching fish. But this time, I plan to join a forum and do more research first, and then maybe try to copy someone else's tank and routine until I get the hang of it myself.

Thanks

We eat a lot of fruits and veggies at our home, it isn't hard to do, and I don't know why I hate doing it so much. I've had around 30 different snakes in my life of owning reptiles, none of which have gone off feed besides going into shed. I also never kept them in tanks. I always use racks with tubs and plenty of hides. I think that’s why I’ve never had problems. I've taken 2 ball pythons from friends that didn't want them anymore. They said they wouldn't eat, had troubles with shedding, and just all around a pain. I would put them in a tub and leave them alone for around 3-5 days and they would be eating like champs from then on. I'm an avid tub user. Ball pythons spend 80-90% of their time crammed into burrows. The open nature of a tank just stresses them out too much. Red tails are just pigs, they will eat anything and same with corns.

My Dad raises Koi, they are really neat but I can't keep up with regular water changes and making sure they have the right balance in water quality. I do find them very beautiful.

I agree with you about supers, I've breed them as well as mealworms before when I had a different beardie and my leos. These days I just do dubia roaches. They are so easy to keep and breed. It does make it interesting to find someone willing to care for your animals when you go on vacation, haha. I've tried crickets but to keep it short I will never attempt that again.

Both of the bearded dragons I've had are incredibly calm, almost lazy animals. I usually relate extremely active reptiles to stress, unless it's part of the species personality.

Have you ever thought about fat tails before? I really like the morphs that are out these days.

Thanks

My most responsive gecko is my beardie, especially in the summer when she wanders around my 2nd floor porch garden, eating greens and basking in the sun. In general, the leopards remain my favorites, though I'm getting more interested in gargoyles.

Aliza

Thanks

We eat a lot of fruits and veggies at our home, it isn't hard to do, and I don't know why I hate doing it so much. I've had around 30 different snakes in my life of owning reptiles, none of which have gone off feed besides going into shed. I also never kept them in tanks. I always use racks with tubs and plenty of hides. I think that’s why I’ve never had problems. I've taken 2 ball pythons from friends that didn't want them anymore. They said they wouldn't eat, had troubles with shedding, and just all around a pain. I would put them in a tub and leave them alone for around 3-5 days and they would be eating like champs from then on. I'm an avid tub user. Ball pythons spend 80-90% of their time crammed into burrows. The open nature of a tank just stresses them out too much. Red tails are just pigs, they will eat anything and same with corns.

My Dad raises Koi, they are really neat but I can't keep up with regular water changes and making sure they have the right balance in water quality. I do find them very beautiful.

I agree with you about supers, I've breed them as well as mealworms before when I had a different beardie and my leos. These days I just do dubia roaches. They are so easy to keep and breed. It does make it interesting to find someone willing to care for your animals when you go on vacation, haha. I've tried crickets but to keep it short I will never attempt that again.

Both of the bearded dragons I've had are incredibly calm, almost lazy animals. I usually relate extremely active reptiles to stress, unless it's part of the species personality.

Have you ever thought about fat tails before? I really like the morphs that are out these days.
    Interesting point about the tubs. I can see how balls might prefer them to tanks.

I hate crickets. Haha. They're noisy, they die really easily, they escape, they bite, they stink... pretty much the biggest pain in the ass feeder ever. I would never dream of breeding them. I did have a dubia colony before. I much prefer them to crickets, but still enjoy not having to take care of any insect colonies at all and I didn't really have enough insect-eating reptiles to warrant having the colony, so I ended up giving them all away.

I haven't really checked into fat tails in a while. They look a lot like leopards and I assume they're closely related...? Is their behavior and care pretty much the same?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    My most responsive gecko is my beardie, especially in the summer when she wanders around my 2nd floor porch garden, eating greens and basking in the sun. In general, the leopards remain my favorites, though I'm getting more interested in gargoyles.

Aliza
    I had one gargoyle and he was really cool. He had a nice, chill personality. Their setup and care is pretty similar to a crested gecko, though (except the tank is laid on its side rather than vertically oriented), so it's not something that really satisfied my craving for something different.

Thanks

I've never had a fatty, but I'd think they were similar to leos.