Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new crested gecko laid an egg on MY CHEST!

Thanks

Default My new crested gecko laid an egg on MY CHEST!

At work so this will be quick.

Got a new crested gecko about 32 g. Found out from a friend that she was gravid. Didn't know anything about breeding. started doing research.

Shes been very lathargic. Probably very stressed also. Been checking her cage-no eggs. Weighed her last night and saw she lost a gram. Made her eat two crickets and put her on my chest while I watched tv because she seemed cold. Bulb had just burned out a couple hours prior also.

She started warming up and then I noticed an egg laying next to her on my chest! Incubated it although I dont think it is fertile. Made her a lay box. Checked this morning and a little in her tank. No other eggs.

I am worried. Is she okay? Should she have had the other egg immediately following? What should I do if she hasn't by the time I get home? Would her tank being cold be a factor to her not laying? It is around 70f but getting a bulb today. Why did she have it on MY CHEST?

Please help!

Name:  eGG.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  89.3 KBName:  uRSELA.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  71.9 KB

Thanks

Sometimes geckos can lay just one egg. If stressed, I could see a gecko laying one egg and not releasing the other one right away as well. I would not be handling her at this time to reduce stress. I don't know that I would recommend a heat increase if you're already at 70, but others might. I'm not sure.

If you only just now included a lay box, it may take her some time to get used to it, so make sure you put her in it at least once so she knows it's there for her use.

What all are you feeding her besides crickets? She looks in pretty rough shape, with a spine jutting out like that and fairly protruding hip bones Any idea what her diet was before you got her? How long have you had her?

Thanks

LOL I'm amused!

70F is fine, really. Anywhere in the 70s is fine. As long as the tank isn't dropping below 65F I personally wouldn't even fool with adding heat.

Cresties aren't particularly active animals especially during the day when they're normally sleeping. And it's also pretty normal for females to occasionally just lay a single egg, especially young ones. If she's still eating and pooping regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT- ninja'd by JB and I agree, she does look thin and diet is probably something to pay more attention to than temps.

Thanks

Got her a week ago. Guy said she was on dusted crickets and gecko food. Same as I am feeding her now. Any idea why she would lay it on my chest, though?

Thanks

What is "gecko food"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lindsey View Post
    Got her a week ago. Guy said she was on dusted crickets and gecko food. Same as I am feeding her now. Any idea why she would lay it on my chest, though?
    What brand gecko food? Unfortunately there are plenty of foods on the market right now advertized as appropriate for crested geckos that are not any more healthy than trying to grow up a human kid on a diet totally made up of cotton candy and popsicles.

And if she didn't have a laybox in with her before, she probably laid on your chest just b/c that's where she was when she couldn't hold it in any longer. Your body heat may have factored in, too.

Thanks

crested gecko diet.

Thanks

i will have to check when i gert home. recommendation?

Thanks

If it's Repashy Superfood/Crested Gecko Diet you should be fine (tan-ish powder you mix with water), but I definitely would make sure you aren't breeding her to a male at this point. She looks like she needs quite a bit of TLC.

The heat of your body probably relaxed the egg out of her. I find that the heat of my hands is enough to coax out a lot of crap, as well :P

Thanks

Repashy (also used to go under T-Rex) and Clarks are the only two brands that are properly formulated and actually healthy for crested geckos. If you don't have those, I encourage you to get her going on some ASAP. Also, be sure that crickets are being gutloaded and properly dusted before feeding. Cresties are primarily fruit and nectar eaters in the wild, however, so the CGD should be the main staple of their diet, with only occasional bug treats. Most of my adult geckos don't even care much for crickets and turn their nose up at them, so it's mostly my younger geckos that I even try to feed crix to on a regular basis.

Proper diet is crucial for an egglaying female.

There's lots of places you can find and order Repashy online if you don't already have it. I get mine here at the Pangea store.