Thread: Why are my female laying eggs without mating?

Thanks

Default Why are my female laying eggs without mating?

Both of my female Gargoyles have laid eggs. I don't own any male Gargoyle Geckos. Why does this occur and are the eggs fertile. I had male females now for a couple of months. Could it be the temperature in my Apartment. I live in NYC and my apartment gets warm when the radiators are active. I leave my window open just enough to let the air circulate. When can I do to stop them from laying eggs?

Thanks

Like chickens, they will sometimes lay infertile eggs. As long as the geckos were previously virgins, the eggs should be infertile. They probably will continue to lay infertiles, since you probably can't keep your temps down throughout the entire year. In my experience -most- infertile eggs come only semi-regularly, not usually monthly.

Thanks

Lots of species of reptiles will lay infertile eggs. A few species have proved to be occasionally parthogenic (where the eggs DO end up fertile, containing only DNA from the mother), but this has never been the case with virgin Crested Gecko or Garg eggs to the best of my knowledge. It does happen rarely with their cousin species, R. leachianus, though.

I have a virgin Phelsuma day gecko who started laying dud eggs last month as well. As long as the geckos don't appear to be having any issues (aren't looking dehydrated or losing concerning amounts of weight/looking too skinny), everything should be fine.

Thanks

Thank you for the information. Both Gargolyes still have their weight and are eating. Should get rid of the eggs?

Thanks

Might as well since the girls are virgins.

Thanks

did you get them as babies? you might as well put the eggs in an incubator - deli cup with hatchright or something. who knows.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

If they've never been with a male, they won't hatch. If you got them as adults, they could have retained sperm, and you could try to incubate them. If they start growing white fuzz, they're goners. (I'm referring to the eggs, but fuzz on the adults would be bad, too ).

Noelle

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I got my females as young adults 19 -20 grams. One female is 41 grams and the other is 27grams. I really don't know if they had any contact with males. i still learning about them.