Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upsetting reply from Senator when I contacted regarding Lacey Act

Thanks

Default Upsetting reply from Senator when I contacted regarding Lacey Act

I was particularly peeved when I got a response back from my Senator in regards to my letter asking him not to support the revision of the Lacey Act. I will leave his name out, but he's from Ohio.

Dear Ms. Brewer:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on a rule by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that has added several constrictor snakes as injurious wildlife.

Under the Lacey Act, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service can label certain wildlife as injurious to the interests of human beings, agriculture, horticulture, forestry, or wildlife. Injurious species are prohibited from interstate trade and commerce, but are not restricted from private ownership. After the introduction of constrictor snakes in the Everglades, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has found that the snakes are highly adaptable and their populations are now swelling. However, I can understand your concerns with this possible listing, particularly its impact on pet owners and Ohio businesses.

You may wish to share your concerns directly with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. I will certainly keep your comments in mind should this issue come before the Senate.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

United States Senator
    Such misinformed CRAP. Darn you HSUS and PETA!

-Andrea (too miffed for the normal smiley face!)
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Thanks

It'd be great if any of you would like to write him again. Every little bit helps. Please PM me for email.

Thanks everyone!

-Andrea
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?

Thanks

He may be misinformed, and should be corrected, but what he is basically telling you is that there is nothing he can do about this.
    --Winged Wolf
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com
    21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

I agree with the above statement. Looks like we need to start hitting the USFWS.

However, it is VERY nice that he took the time to reply to your email. I doubt most senators even read theirs.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I really don't know anything about this, but I thought that there were invasive, non-native animals in the everglades because of people releasing reptiles they didnt want anymore? I don't know about snakes specifically, but I do know they have a problem with lizards. Biiiiig lizards.

.....or is the problem the fact that you're in Ohio, where no reptile is going to survive outside?
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks

The bulk of the Burm population there is believed to have come from warehouses blown into the swamp by Hurricane Andrew.

However, it's true that there have been animals released, and animals have escaped as well. The Everglades has more non-native species in it now than it has natives, and reptiles are the LEAST of the concern there. Invasive plants and insects are the worst ones. However, you don't see politicians railing against the dangers of those, and trying to ban the importation of plants, or put nurseries out of business.

Florida could have prevented this problem by closing its doors to all tropical wildlife and plant life, decades and decades ago. It chose not to, and the Everglades is the victim.
    This could not happen elsewhere in the US....because it didn't.
    --Winged Wolf
    Eclipse Exotics
    21.58 BPs in collection, 1.1 BP hatchlings, 1.1 super dwarf reticulated pythons, 0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi, 0.1 Lygodactylus angularis, 1.1 Lygodactylus conradti, 0.8 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

I've lived in Florida most of my life, and our house is in the Everglades- or what's left of them after the Army Corps of Engineers installed the canals back in the 60s to create the "dry land" that Naples is now built on. The landscape in South Florida has evolved the way it has due to HUMAN AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRY, not due to invasive species- though I'll agree that they are A problem. Just not THE MAIN problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The Everglades has more non-native species in it now than it has natives
    Where on earth did that come from? o_0

Actually, the most damaging non-native species in the Everglades are the feral cats and dogs.

And it's HUMANS that remain 99% of the problem. Pollution, habitat loss due to expansion, agricultural runoff, and industrial enterprises are the main threats to the Glades by far. By FAR. Just those are a whole lot more complicated and less attractive for an elected politician to go after, since those same industries are what will be putting all the dollars into their election and re-election campaigns.

It's a royal mess.

Thanks

From what I understood, the Melaleuca was one of the most damaging, not dogs and cats. I don't think mammals can touch invasive plants for sheer destructive power.

Agriculture and human activity is the biggest threat, we were just talking about invasive species.
    My bad, though, it wasn't more than half. It's 26%, I misremembered.
    --Winged Wolf
    Eclipse Exotics

Thanks

Melaleuca has been pretty much eradicated from public land at this point, I believe? Private land is another story so of course there's encroachment... but I think the Melaleuca War is just about won. Though Brazilian Peppers and Australian Pines along the shorelines are another story...

Thanks

Yes, it's hard to find up-to-date information on the status of these things. (I don't live in Florida).
    Still, I think the plants are beating out the animals by a large margin...and insects are beating out larger animals for destructiveness, too.
    Norway rats are probably also a worse problem than cats or dogs, as they eat bird's eggs, reptiles and reptile eggs, etc etc.
    --Winged Wolf
    Eclipse Exotics