Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Tortoise species for beginners?

Thanks

I have a female Hermann's. She definitely comes to me(or anyone else) for food, or just to see what I'm doing. (The Egyptians could care less.) In the winter, when she lives indoors, she loves to 'go on safari' in my son's bedroom. Yes, all hazards must be removed, and he stays in there with her. But she loves to climb through towels, stuffed animals, etc. I just put her in a tub of warm water to poop first, and she's good to go! I would never do this with the Egyptians.
    I doubt there's any difference between the sexes if you're only getting one. I recommend buying a hatchling. First, they're amazingly cute. But they're no more trouble, in fact easier to care for. There are usually quite a few out there on the forums from good sellers.

Noelle

Thanks

I have russians and greeks both and the greeks definitely have more personality IMO. That being said, I adore both species and would recommend either one. My greeks are simply more curious and outgoing than my russians are, although the russians are full of personality as well, for sure.

www.thatdarncrab.com
    my fishy/crabby/scaly/furry blog that I don't update enough

Um I ran out of room to list everything...just go here..http://www.iherp.com/sericinda

Thanks

I know it sounds like you've ruled out Greeks but I have to tell you that my Greek is personality PLUS. He literally gets grumpy with me when his lunch is late, he will pout and sulk about. However, if I'm being his obedient servant he comes over to greet me whenever I go in the room. He paces his tub on the side closest to me until I pay attention to him. And then he'll go show off and get in his personal "spa", practice his climbing skills, and try to escape for exploration purposes when I *do* pay attention.
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Thanks

I haven't ruled out Greeks. It's just I haven't done much research on them. Do they stay as small as a Hermann's? With some species males stay smaller, so I'll probably be getting a male. Then again from other forums I've heard people say that female Hermann's are more personable than the males, so I'm not sure what to believe honestly. I'll def be getting a hatchling so that I can watch it grow and form a bond over time. I'll have to look more into Greeks. I'm looking for a tort that's going to get no bigger than 6-7" full grown. Preferably 5".

Thanks

A little info about the Greek subspecies - Turkish (Ibera) greeks will get bigger, males 6" to 8" and females 8" to 10". Golden greeks don't get as big, males are about 4" to 6" and females 6" to 8". They have minor differences in care requirements. But perhaps a Golden Greek would work for you, if you like their look (they're usually more expensive, however). I got a male because I wanted a smaller tortoise as well. Feel free to PM me if you want to know where I got mine, the guy has great animals for good prices and he is also happy to answer any questions you may have. He may not have anything available yet but I'm sure he will by spring!
    .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***