Thread: "Great Stuff" background question

Thanks

Lightbulb "Great Stuff" background question

Hello all! After reading through the thread:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...t-LOTS-of-pics

I've decided I want to make a background for my tank. I have ordered plants and substrate and everything to make a live vivarium, but I have to wait because it's too cold to ship. Anyway I would like to get started on the background while I wait. My question is: can I build the background onto something outside the tank and then silicone it in place when finished? If so what material would you recommend? I'm afraid to put the great stuff directly on the glass. I would prefer to make something that is not permanent just in case it looks bad or I want to change it in the future.

Thanks for your help!!

Thanks

I'm not an expert, I am just gathering information to have my own go at a background right now. However, I am planing to build mine outside of the cage then silicone it in. I intent to building on a sized piece of styrofoam board and the just silicon the finished work in. You can scrape silicon off. Another thought i've had is possibly laying strong magnets in the corners and then placing magnets on the outside and securing it that way. Good luck!
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

Ah yeah maybe I'll do styrofoam. I'm assuming you would silicone the whole piece of styrofoam as well and then stick it to the glass?

Thanks

I've seen in a couple tutorials they silicon the whole back panel on the tank and then put the silicon on that, I doubt it matters what order you go it. Good luck =) Remember that the silicon in going to go off and stink for several days so set it up somewhere with good ventilation and lay the tank down on it's back so it doesn't just fall.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

I've used the great stuff method a couple of times now. I used a piece of foam board (used normally for presentations and such) as a base and put the great stuff on that. To keep it in the tank I used velcro tabs in each corner. One of my tanks doesn't use anything to keep it up since I made the background the perfect size so that it holds itself up.

I only have one gecko and 3 tanks... I think my addiction is just in the building process, it can very rewarding.

One bit of advice: be very patient. I didn't wait long enough on my first one before I moved it and now it's all curved. The great stuff takes about a day to cure completely even if the outside feels solid. Also when putting the coco fibre on, if you are using the dehydrated compressed bricks, use small amounts of water and break off small chunks. The stuff takes forever to dry out enough to silicone on.

Thanks

That's what the loose dry bags ar for =)

I thought I was gonna use a ton of it, I didn't even use half the bag!!!
    1.1 Crested Gecko
    0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    0.1.0 Black lab

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas! I like the Velcro method. Gonna give it a shot. My board is finished curing and tomorrow I will begin the first coat of silicone. Thanks again

Thanks

New to the forum and all this stuff. Can someone tell me where to get great stuff? Thanx, ron

Thanks

I got it at home depot. I never heard of it before this board and was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it. When I got to the store I went to the windows and doors section and it was EVERYWHERE! I'm not exaggerating, there were displays of it in every aisle lol