Thread: Sealing wood

Thanks

Default Sealing wood

Does anyone seal their wood for their geckoís tanks? If so, what do you use to do this? Any certain process?

How long after you seal it can you use it with your geckos? A couple of days? A week? More?

Thanks for your help.
    1.0 Dog; 1.0 Leopard Gecko;10.5 Crested Geckos; 1.1Gargoyle Geckos; 1.3 Sarasinorum; 5.3.7PI Chahoua; 2.2 E. Agricolae; 1.1 Nuu Ana, 0.1 Isle E, 0.2 G. Marginata, 1.0 L. Williamsi And interested in a few others

Thanks

What kind of wood are you talking about? Some woods are safe to use just like that, and some I wouldn't want in with the reptiles regardless of how you treat it. Let us know what you are using and we can answer properly.
    2:0:0 White's tree frogs
    0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
    0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't think that ad that part. Juts driftwood and sandblasted grapevine that was bought from pangea and other suppliers.

I have never sealed wood before. But I noticed my mister malfunctioned while I was away for a day or so and I had an extra soggy part of the tank. I thought it dried up, but apparently the spot under the end of one of my branches didnít dry and caused some mold, just on the end of the wood. I have since discarded that piece of wood and cleaned the tank. My cresties are doing just fine.

But since I am trying to complete a natural viv, I figured the branches may sit on a less the dry peat moss/eco earth and I wanted to prevent future growth of mold on my branches.

I read somewhere on here of people sealing their wood, but cannot remember the post. So I was hoping someone could inform me on what the whole process is and what is safe to use with my geckos.
    1.0 Dog; 1.0 Leopard Gecko;10.5 Crested Geckos; 1.1Gargoyle Geckos; 1.3 Sarasinorum; 5.3.7PI Chahoua; 2.2 E. Agricolae; 1.1 Nuu Ana, 0.1 Isle E, 0.2 G. Marginata, 1.0 L. Williamsi And interested in a few others

Thanks

I don't personally bother, I just clean wood when it gets dirty/moldy.

You can use polyurethane, though. Should give directions (including curing time) on the can.