Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Naturalistic Vivarium!

Thanks

Talking My New Naturalistic Vivarium!

For the last few months, I've been working on an 18x18x24 ZooMed terrarium to house my two girls, Ellie and Lilly. I began the process this past August, right at the start of the Fall semester. That's why it took so long to finish the DIY set-up. I finished right before winter break, and my DIY mister did the job. Only one air plant died, and was removed prior to this picture.

I siliconed the back wall and part of each side wall. I wanted to make a display tank, so I wanted it to look appealing from all sides. I used foam insulation sheets to make the fake rocks. I coated them in Drylok mixed with cement color, to give it the look of stone. I wanted to try to make it look like an abandoned stone wall. I used a 1.5 in. drillbit to make spots for plastic feeding dishes. After the silicone, I set up an eggcrate false bottom and covered it with weed blocker mesh. I used organic peat with crushed (boiled) leaves mixed in for some extra food for the isopods and springtails I placed in the terrarium. I then used Great Stuff to glue cork round pieces to the black silicone, following the Cork bark mosaic technique found on Dendroboard.com. I filled in the gaps between the bark with sphagnum peat moss. I left gaps for airplants and glued them into place.

I removed the original top panel and associated pieces in order, as a first step to allow access, and only replaced it at this step. I used regular screen door tools and equipment to make the skeleton of the lid. I then used clear silicone to attach a plexiglass sheet. I also made a smaller section and outfitted it with regular screen door mesh to allow airflow. I attached both sections using black silicone.

Then I took rope and string and hotglued them into vines, coated them in black silicone, and covered them in the same peat as the substrate. I added some more black silicone to an area of the top panel, and then hotglued the ropes to the silicone, and then coated the dried silicone with a fresh layer, and pressed in some peat. I attached the other ends of some of the vines to other points in the tank in the same manner. I felt like the color scheme wash kind of monotonous, so I siliconed live moss (ZooMed brand) to the cork bark. I knew this would also help to maintain humidity. I planted two ivy vines, and a pothos vine in the substrate, and then covered the bottom with Magnolia leaves (purchased online) to provide cover and food for the isopods and springtails.

I hope you guys like it. I spent hours working on this. I can't wait until the vines grow in more. I'll post more pictures as the plants grow. If anyone wants to know specifics on steps I took, feel free to ask away.
    Last edited by insaneglitchx; 01-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to insaneglitchx For This Useful Post:

DerpHerp (01-17-2013),Iggy (03-03-2013),Purple Trex (12-06-2012)

Thanks

Dang really nice!!! Also nice gecko.

Thanks

Gorgeous! I wish I had a green thumb
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

That looks awesome! You had some great ideas. I'm trying to create my 1st viv and I know mine will not look anywhere as nice as yours.
    1.0 Dog; 1.0 Leopard Gecko;10.5 Crested Geckos; 1.1Gargoyle Geckos; 1.3 Sarasinorum; 5.3.7PI Chahoua; 2.2 E. Agricolae; 1.1 Nuu Ana, 0.1 Isle E, 0.2 G. Marginata, 1.0 L. Williamsi And interested in a few others

Thanks

Very nice tank! I love that creamsicle...
    A job well done
    -Louisa
    Beachside Geckos
    My iHerp
    Facebook

Thanks

WOW great job!!! You fit so much in it looks like a much bigger viv. I just picked up a 24x18x36 and need to figure out what I want to do with it...and what to put in it
    1.1.0.92 Ambilobe furcifer pardalis / 3.2.0.173 Nosy Faly furcifer pardalis / 1.1.0 Ambanja furcifer pardalis / 1.1 Kinyongia Matschiei / 1.0 Chamaeleo calyptratus / 4.6.28.1 rhacodactylus ciliatus / 1.0 pardalis pardalis / 0.0.1 rhacodactylus chahoua
    Four Peaks Reptiles Facebook

Thanks

that tank is way too cool! the girls should be more than pleased with it haha

Thanks

Very nice! A word of warning though, those Tillandsia might be more delicate than they look. I've had a few die on me in my gecko cages.

Are you using any clean-up crews? I'd suggest worms and isopods at least if you don't have them already.

*edit* Re-read and saw that you have iso's and springtails. Good! I still suggest worms though. Also my cresties eat my iso's at a pretty good clip....

Thanks

I chose dwarf white and giant oranges isopods. The dwarf whites have been thriving, but I don't think the giant oranges are doing well. I plan to get some red wigglers from a store soon. Yeah, I know the air plants are fragile. Luckily, Ellie chose the largest and sturdiest as her spot. The plant that died and the one that Lilly, the smaller gecko, sleeps in are the only ones to be giving me trouble. That was really because I accidentally spilled some silicone on them. I don't think they would have done well with their roots between the fake rocks anyway. Oh well, I ordered 3 more and won't be putting them on the fake rocks.

Thanks

The oranges take a long time to get going. They do really well in my snake tanks and with my tortoises.... I think they make for easier gecko targets though....