Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom caging

Thanks

Default Custom caging

Ok, so I'm going to try my hand at building some cages. I can choose any dimensions I want and thought I'd get some opinions before I go all out.

Part 1:
    I'm planning to make the cage out of plastic (FDA approved). The walls would be white and the door on the front would be screen so you can see in. Here's a rough picture of what I'm thinking:

The grey area is the screen door. Hinges are on the left and doorknob is on the right. Everything but the door is white plastic.

Or, I could make the door out of plexiglass and put the screen above and below the door like this:

Light blue is the plexiglass, grey is the screen, and white is plastic.
    Which do you think would work better for crested geckos?

Part 2:
    If you could pick any dimensions you wanted for a cage, what would they be? I want to make one for adult size and one for juvenile size.

I was thinking 12wide x 24deep x 24tall for the adult cage. My thinking is that having a skinnier cage that's deeper would take up less wall space and allow more cages (always a good thing, right?).

For the juvie cage I was thinking 12w x 12d x 16t. Or do you think 18 tall is better?

Any and all opinions welcome! Let me know if there's anything I didn't think of. I've been brainstorming for a bit.
    Element Geckos
    Rachel Squier
    https://www.facebook.com/elementgeckos

Thanks

I would think the screen would be better than plexiglass. I am just a newbie, but isn't some breathe in a tank good? Or maybe I just worry about suffocation for no reason.

Good for you, though! I have a custom built cage right now. I like it a lot more than the store-bought ones.

Thanks

Air circulation is a good thing, even with more humid tanks like poison dart frog set ups its important to have air movement. Too little and mold will become an issue. Suffocation is almost impossible with an reptile this size.

As for your choices of materials, you could go either way. Personally i think too much screen will make it hard to maintain humidity. And screens may not be necessary a few drilled holes can be enough if done right. Also if all of your ventilation comes comes from one spot, you wont have good air flow. Its often best to have some sort of ventilation high and low.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...step-step.html

This is a nice read, i dont point it out to expect you to build it, but i like the features of this style tank. Notice that it doesnt require huge sections of screen to make it work. But you might need slightly more than this design, Poison Dart Frogs are kept a bit more humid than Cresties.

Also with the white plastic top, what do you plan to do with lighting? im just curios. Granted you dont have to any lighting for a crested gecko, but most people want at least something for viewing.

Thanks

I think I would make the door plexiglass and the top panel screen.
    If it could be any dimensions, I think I'd go for something really tall, maybe 18widex24deepx40tall
    1.0.0 R. Ciliatus [Ender]

Thanks

Its a nice design. As for the dimensions, its your call. When I built my custom cage, i did 24x24x48. However I also did a design very different from yours.

The issue of airflow is going to depend more on what plants you have in there rather then the gecko. If your going to have plants in there that need a lot of airflow, go with the larger mesh panel, otherwise it doesn't matter.

Thanks

Thanks guys! I may play around and make a couple before I decide on one I like. I will let you know how it comes along.

As far as lighting goes, ambient light is enough to see into the white cages. I have my boas in white plastic cages and I can see into them easily as long as a light is on in the room.

Here's a picture of my boa cages:

Notice how it's hard to see into the black cage but you can see clearly into the white ones. I'm hoping to find material similar to the middle white cage. That material seems to let more light in and it's easier to clean.
    Element Geckos
    Rachel Squier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
    Thanks guys! I may play around and make a couple before I decide on one I like. I will let you know how it comes along.

As far as lighting goes, ambient light is enough to see into the white cages. I have my boas in white plastic cages and I can see into them easily as long as a light is on in the room.

Here's a picture of my boa cages:

Notice how it's hard to see into the black cage but you can see clearly into the white ones. I'm hoping to find material similar to the middle white cage. That material seems to let more light in and it's easier to clean.
    The top cage is a Boa Master pvc but what are the bottom cages?, are they all the same type? The White one in the middle looks like a Proline HDPE plastic cage.

HDPE is a great material to make a cage out of but is very expensive per sheet and needs to have special welded joints if you use thin sheets, hot air plastic welding , so if you want to screw the cage together I would recommend 3/4" or 1/2" sheets and that is 375$ and 253$ plus shipping per 4'x8' sheet from US plastics.

PVC seems to be just as expensive, although it is easier to work with.

You might be better off getting a quot from Ed ( has to be one of the most helpful guys in the hobby) on a custom enclosure, he gets around welding the joints now by manufacturing slotted joints that slide together in channels - (360) 591-6706

US Plastics http://www.usplastic.com/

Good luck and post pics of what ever you decide
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

Yes, you are correct. From the top:
    BoaMaster
    Repti-Racks
    ProLine
    Boaphile

I got a plastic welder for Christmas that I would like to try out. And I found a plastic company locally that sells HDPE sheets. I just got a quote from them, a 48"x96" sheet 1/4" thick is $99.60. I'm having them cut 30 pieces from the one sheet and that's included in the price, so I won't have to do any cutting of my own.

If everything goes as planned, I should be able to make 1 large cage (12"w x 24"d x 24"t), 2 medium cages (12"w x 12"d x 16"t), and 2 small cages (6"w x 6"d x 12"t). After that, I should know whether or not I want to make more or change up the sizes at all.
    Element Geckos
    Rachel Squier

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
    Yes, you are correct. From the top:
    BoaMaster
    Repti-Racks
    ProLine
    Boaphile

I got a plastic welder for Christmas that I would like to try out. And I found a plastic company locally that sells HDPE sheets. I just got a quote from them, a 48"x96" sheet 1/4" thick is $99.60. I'm having them cut 30 pieces from the one sheet and that's included in the price, so I won't have to do any cutting of my own.

If everything goes as planned, I should be able to make 1 large cage (12"w x 24"d x 24"t), 2 medium cages (12"w x 12"d x 16"t), and 2 small cages (6"w x 6"d x 12"t). After that, I should know whether or not I want to make more or change up the sizes at all.
    That's awesome, cant wait to see the finished product. Are you using nitrogen with your welder for the HDPE? I haven't welded plastic with a welder yet myself although I have flirted with the idea. To date I am still working with the primordial medium, wood, lol.

Since you have a nice selection of cages already in use, which brand do you prefer in your stack?
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

The welder I got is a cheap airless welder. It just heats the plastic up as you apply it, no gasses. Not sure how well it will work yet, but I'm excited to try it out.

My favorite cage is definitely the ProLine. I plan on getting all uniform cages eventually and when I do I will go with all ProLine. I do use Boaphile for my racks though.
    Element Geckos
    Rachel Squier