Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fear Factor = Animal cruelty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Bob View Post
    To clarify, while we do use striking snakes as needed, upon reviewing the episode, we didn't for this show and no snakes striked that I saw. We done a lot of TV work recently and I confused that aspect with another show. As far as allowing the show to be edited in a certain manner, we have no control over the post production.

As stated, we weren't trying to "explain it all away" but we were trying to give the full story. Certainly if we were silent and ignored everyone's reaction there would be more people upset at that. We have said that we have learned from this experience and have already discussed with producers about it on shows we are currently working on.

There's not much else I can say about it and I'm afraid we will just have to agree to disagree on some points; certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    You confused that with another show? So because you did it on another show but not this particular one we're discussing, then that's okay?
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissScully&Velvet View Post
    “The fear of snakes is cultivated. We are not born with it. Children love snakes as naturally as they love dogs and cats. Don’t be afraid of a reptile’s tongue. The only animal that can hurt you with its tongue is the human being.”
    Grace Olive Wiley

That is all!
    Although your statement is partially true it is kinda misleading. Research shows that although we are not born automatically fearful of snakes and spiders that we are pre programmed to recognize them very quickly and more readily associate them with fear. So you could say that we are born politically correct yet retain primordial bias just looking for a excuse to be expressed.

Do you think that natural selection would of favored those who were more cautious of things that could kill them during our evolution?

By the way Grace Olive Wiley died of a snake bite while posing with her snake collection, lol.
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Bob View Post
    Certainly if we were silent and ignored everyone's reaction there would be more people upset at that. .
    Bob, it may have been better to remain silent on this one. When this thread started no one even knew that your company supplied the snakes for the show, they were pissed at Fear Factor. Not only did you redirect the outrage toward yourself but you also dragged your company name into it.

I understand that some people feel that any publicity is good publicity but in your case this may have been foolish. If you are doing well enough to be used as a expert on TV and film sets why are you trying to debate with people who feel that their pets should become recognized citizens protected by the constitution of the United States, some openly declare that they like their pets more then people.

No matter what you say Bob they will never forgive you, so move on and for the love of God if you feel the need to run a PR campaign, hire a professional ! lol
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dobeyxxl View Post
    why are you trying to debate with people who feel that their pets should become recognized citizens protected by the constitution of the United States
    Exactly. I'm not sure where people get the idea that there is such a thing as animal rights (in the sense that we have anyways). Certainly animal cruelty is wrong and shouldn't be advocated, but the term 'animal cruelty' itself is such an ill-defined and broad reaching term that almost anything could be defined as such by these people. To some, merely stressing an animal or owning one is cruelty.

Unfortunately for the PETA people, animals are not people and thus don't have rights as defined by the federal government. Because of this, they are considered property and are subject to the owner's decisions on what to do with them (within certain limitations). Reptile Bob (if he is who he says he is) has the right to do as he pleases with his property.

Whether you like this or not is moot; that's the way it is.
    3.7.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus [Crested Gecko]
    0.1.0 Rhacodactylus auriculatus [Gargoyle Gecko]
    1.1.0 Eublepharis macularius [Leopard Gecko]
    1.0.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus [African Fat Tailed Gecko]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dobeyxxl View Post
    Although your statement is partially true it is kinda misleading. Research shows that although we are not born automatically fearful of snakes and spiders that we are pre programmed to recognize them very quickly and more readily associate them with fear. So you could say that we are born politically correct yet retain primordial bias just looking for a excuse to be expressed.

Do you think that natural selection would of favored those who were more cautious of things that could kill them during our evolution?

By the way Grace Olive Wiley died of a snake bite while posing with her snake collection, lol.

I still think it gets the point across.
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Thanks

Damn I hate pepole who like to abuse animals that made me sick to see that I just want to punch out there faces and beat them until they are dead I'm sorry but that is how mad I am. People make me want to oh amn I better stop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daedric1 View Post
    Reptile Bob (if he is who he says he is) has the right to do as he pleases with his property.

Whether you like this or not is moot; that's the way it is.
    And we have the right to use freedom of speech to say we don't like it, and to further boycott everything that has to do with his business.

Not everyone who believes animals should be treated humanely are peta freaks. I hate peta with an absolute passion, I don't eat meat (except for fish) and am insanely anti-animal cruelty. But I'm not an animal rights activist.

Let me just say, I would never EVER allow my animals to be treated this way. I watched the clip, and I am beyond disgusted. Those poor snakes, they must have been terrified. And echoing what others have said--It's horrible that a fellow hobbyist would WILLINGLY put our precipitous hobby in such a bad light. Just because no animals WERE hurt, doesn't mean they COULDN'T have been. I would never take that risk with my animals.

Reptile Bob, you're a complete disappointment.

Thanks

Call me gullible, but I completely believe Reptile Bob is who he says he is. Sure, I don't think he should've allowed people to pick up his snakes with their teeth. But I also don't believe a thing I see on TV. There's too much technology nowadays. I honestly believe he wouldn't have done this if he thought the snakes would be harmed. We subject our animals to potential dangers regularly, but justify it by telling ourselves we'll do what we can to keep the worst from happening. Or by telling ourselves we'll intervene if things go downhill. I also don't believe the episode is going to hurt the reptile world in the end. People that watched the episode as snake lovers are still snake lovers, and people that initially didn't like snakes still don't. In the off chance that it did cause some reluctant people to make up their mind against owning snakes, the great thing about people is that we can change our minds. Nothing is permanent. One day, people will forget what they saw on that episode. Possibly buy a snake, even after deciding they never would. However, I do fully agree that it would cause a huge uproar if the snakes were replaced with something furry.

Though I understand why everyone is upset, Reptile Bob has shown understanding and has kept his tone friendly. I don't think he deserves the hostility he is receiving. By being closed minded and refusing to accept the things he's saying, we're no better than the people claiming they'd 'kill themselves before owning a snake.' Do you guys think that the posts in this thread are how you want snake fans to be portrayed? Just my .2
    2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

RIP Houdini, Ruby, and Tabby

Thanks

... I don't think most snake keepers would willingly subject their animals to high stress, the possibility of bones being broken, organs being crushed, etc. And there are a lot of people whose heads aren't screwed on correctly and believe everything they see on TV, and so do plenty of kids. Yesterday at Repticon, I had multiple kids saying that they saw in movies and on TV that snakes are dangerous and "poisonous" when I offered to let them pet my rat snake, who's the calmest and most tolerant snake I've ever met. Those things they see on TV may end up sticking with them for a long time because people are so impressionable at early ages.