Thread: Baby garg tub size

Thanks

Default Baby garg tub size

I plan on hopefully getting a garg at the upcoming Willsonville reptile show in Oregon the 21st of Jan, and for a juvenille, will a 16qt tub be big enough for it for a bit?
    I just made the holes bigger so I could fit dowels across and cut out an opening in the top where I'll glue screen.

I have a large KK, but I'm using that for my crix and I already had the tub leftover from my python who got too big for it.

Thanks

That might actually be too big. Might. It depends on what happens.

What I personally recommend for the first few months is a small cage. For a "baby", one of those shoe box sterilite tubs would work for me. The reason for the small cage is so that you can monitor the animal closely, as well as look for poop and make sure it doesn't get lost or have only one hiding spot it likes and never ventures out from.
    Unless you go SUPER small, going with a smaller cage isn't likely to cause problems. However, going with too large of a cage may cause problems. On more than one occasion I've seen someone post that their gecko isn't doing well in what is commonly agreed to be the "minimum sized" cage, and once they down grade the cage size, the animal perks up.

Another thing you'll need to do is find out if your garg is a climber or not. My ~35 gram girl will occasionally climb items, but she much prefers to be on the ground and climb over low rocks and branches. I've also NEVER seen an adult garg in person climb a smooth surface except for one.

Thanks

So maybe if I get an extra small one, s/he can go in my medium KK? I can always dump the crix in there and use the large one, but I'm pretty sure the volume on the ---Wait, I might actually be thinking of my extra large KK if that's what it is, not sure... but the biggest size KK I have is just a little taller than the 16qt, so it may actually be a litttle smaller, but not by too much.
    I guess it depends on the size of the baby. If that cage seems too big, s/he can go in my second largest KK.... XD It all depends on the baby, huh?

I have lots of wooden dowels for the gecko to climb on and I'll have leaves in there.
    I would like to get a hunk of cork bark too for him/her, so there won't be a lack in climbing items. :3 The dowels can go straight across, from the floor to the top(diagonally), ect,

Thanks

Yeah, it definitely depends on the baby. :P

In the end, look at the animal and hold it for a small while before you place it in its cage (well, and hopefully before you buy it!) so you have an idea of what it's like while it's healthy. Just keep an eye on it; you can always change the home later on.

Thanks

Alright, thank you!