Thread: Makeshift Branches?

Thanks

Default Makeshift Branches?

I had an idea, since I can't find any small width bamboo to put in my gecko tank and he is increasingly using the sides more and more for sleeping on. I was thinking about getting wooden bird perches to put in there, with just the matter of figureing out how to secure them without siliconing them. They are cheap and look like they would probably come clean with a good soaking with hot water. What do you guys think? Any other ideas or what do you guys use for branches?
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

Thanks

If you figure out a way to attach them, that could look really neat. How about hot glue? I think you'd be able to pop them off if you wanted, but still have them hold up to the gecko's weight. Although if you do that, you might want to test a branch first by pushing down on it, make sure the glue holds it tight.

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard

Thanks

I get the fake twisty vines and bend them in interesting shapes. Sometimes I can train the plants to grow up around them.

Aliza

Thanks

Silicone, hot glue I've used both.

I personally find bamboo I get at the wal-mart garden section to work really well and be quite mold resistant. Some people here I think have luck putting suction cups on the ends of the branches and getting them to stick, but I just use copious amounts of hot glue.

So far my geckos haven't been able to knock the well glued sticks down.

Thanks

I've checked my walmart, I guess I can't get any until spring. And he has a vine and I hate it thoroughly. He also doesn't use it too often unless i place him there. Would the hot glue just pop off? I'm not very good at scraping things off, nor do I have a razor around. And would the hot glue need to be aired out any? I have some here so that would be the ideal thing if it just pops off..
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

Thanks

You can use wood from outside, just make sure you sanitize - use the search function to find some threads on it. I would not use the freezing methods because it gets cold where you live. My first gecko cage I used a branch from outside and sanitized the crap out of it and it worked REALLY well while I was using that cage. I am making a new cage soon so I might do the same thing again if I find the right stick.

I have thought about using the bird wood stuff before (found this cute little ladder thing) but I didn't purchase because I was worried that it would rot because of the humidity requirements for our critters. Has anyone used it before and had it work out just fine? Because if so I'm running back and getting it... =D

EDIT: opps forgot to say - for the storebought bamboo I have I use sucker things that are hot glued in copiously. This hasn't worked too well because the hot glue didn't stick to the bamboo that well but it works enough and holds up the weight of my adult.
    GoodTimeReptiles
    C. ciliatus, M. chahoua, P. regius

Thanks

Yeah I know, but I don't know how comfortable my mom would be with me baking wood LOL. (Which is the only wood sanitizing method I remember off hand.) And everything's snow covered now, so that'd have to wait until spring too.

I never thought about molding issues.. I'm also curious if anyones actually attempted bird section accessories in their tanks now. I may just have to try it out this weekend and hope for the best.
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

Thanks

I have had good succes with some bamboo I bought from target( I washed and sanitized first ) and adhesive black furniture grips on the ends(bought at lowes ). Then I just jam them in the cage horizontally. They work great and my gargs usually sleep on them.
    Rhacodactylus Auriculatus

Thanks

You don't need to air out the hot glue at all, just give it a little time to fully 'set' before adding gecko. Which is, what, a few minutes? I dunno, I have a habit of accidentally burning myself. XD

Sometimes you can just pop the hot glue off, or you might need a razor blade to either scrape it off completely or just a little to 'start it' and then pull it off the rest of the way. You could always get a razor blade at walmart, they're not that expensive (and useful for many things).

[ 2.0 Kitteh ][ 1.1 Corn Snake ][ 0.1 Crested Gecko ][ 1.0 Gargoyle Gecko ][ 1.0 Ball Python ][ 1.0 Costa Rican BCI ][ 0.1 Leopard Gecko ][ 0.1 IJ Jag Carpet Python ]

"It'll be a walk in the park... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me." -Lt. Col. Sheppard