Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Things you just don't get

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    Turn signals, yes, not hard, agreed!

However, I HATE people that "pen" other people in. People in WA do that chronically and it drives me batshit crazy. What if the person you are blocking in has a sick child they're trying to get to a hospital?
    What if they themselves are sick?
    Or have explosive diarrhea? (this is how I always think of it, and I would appreciate someone getting out of my way, so I do the same and it gives me a lol to imagine it).
    Being bullheaded and hanging out in the "passing lane" or left lane (in this country) is just plain rude and selfish IMHO. If somebody is speeding, clearly they have an issue and its best and safest to just get out of the way.

Hell, let them get the speeding ticket!

Also disagree with the right on red. See above rant for why (Sick kid, emergency issue, explosive diarrhea, why be selfish and block things up for other people? I don't get laying on the horn, but people out here are pretty clueless/chronically slow or stoned or distracted or something, and a slight toot can help wake them up.)
    /rant.
    I've been driving from Northern CA to the CA/AZ state border a lot recently, and I noticed once I get on a Hwy 99, people love to box you in and speed like MOFOs! I'm a habitual 5-above-the-limit driver, unless I'm seeing that I'm going to box someone in or have somewhere to be. I can't stand people that box me in, but I understand if I'm being an irrational driver. Normally I'm not though, cuz I leave with ample time to get to my destination I'm not in a hurry much.

One thing I can't stand and don't get is when people will put the pedal to the metal to get ahead of one car to pass a truck. I really don't like it if they pull that with me when I let 1-2 cars in ahead of me (I always let one car in, if there's room and time for two I will let two in), and the person behind me hasn't let any in. I will block cars out in that scenario. I've done my part, time for someone else to do their whether they like it or not!
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    However, I HATE people that "pen" other people in. People in WA do that chronically and it drives me batshit crazy. What if the person you are blocking in has a sick child they're trying to get to a hospital?
    What if they themselves are sick?
    Or have explosive diarrhea? (this is how I always think of it, and I would appreciate someone getting out of my way, so I do the same and it gives me a lol to imagine it).
    Being bullheaded and hanging out in the "passing lane" or left lane (in this country) is just plain rude and selfish IMHO. If somebody is speeding, clearly they have an issue and its best and safest to just get out of the way.

Hell, let them get the speeding ticket!

Also disagree with the right on red. See above rant for why (Sick kid, emergency issue, explosive diarrhea, why be selfish and block things up for other people? I don't get laying on the horn, but people out here are pretty clueless/chronically slow or stoned or distracted or something, and a slight toot can help wake them up.)
    /rant.
    I promise that I only pen in people who have been tailgating WITH an option to pass in three passing lanes. Why can't they go around? I shouldn't have to move so they can pass to the right.

Do get what you are saying about right on red. Still not going to drive into oncoming traffic for the idiot throwing the bird and laying on the horn

I live in Florida, the land of the old, slow, drunk, stoned and pissed. Not to mention all the tourists and snow birds. That should explain my traffic issues.

Thanks

Not sure about Florida, but in California slower traffic is supposed to stay to the right. It's stupid that the speeder will ride right up on you and tailgate you just for kicks (Happens to me all the time too) but I prefer to get out of their way rather than piss them off. I've heard way too many harassing stories over people getting road rage. My Fiance had an of duty cop follow him off the hwy and into a college parking lot just to tell him that he'll have an eye out for him from now on. Crazy!
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

You can usually tell by the body language of the people in the car who is driving stupid because they think they are overly important or cool....and those that are in a hurry for a stressful reason. At least I notice these things but I'm used to reading body language and maybe that isn't as easy as I think it is lol

www.thatdarncrab.com
    my fishy/crabby/scaly/furry blog that I don't update enough

Um I ran out of room to list everything...just go here..http://www.iherp.com/sericinda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stellarawesome View Post
    Its a sore subject for me when you hear all the time about art departments getting cut because they're 'just not important'. That, and some of the quizzical looks when I say that I'm getting an art degree.

Though I am not an Art History Major, the first two that come to mind immediatly are Anthropology and Museum curation. I don't understand why one would think Art History has no place when its an invaluable tool for learning about the past. I mean think about cultures that used no written form of language and how much more we know about them from the art they left behind on walls, pottery and in their jewelry and clothing.

And then from a personal perspective, almost all of my favorite artists and pieces are from the 1940s and older.

I'm not concerned about defending 'Bachelor' programs- I'm just specifically defending people who choose the 'silly' degrees that personally I don't think are very silly at all. Hell I could go into an arguement about spending a fuckton of money on a degree when I already have above the minimum years of equal work experience. Unfortunatly even in my own limited experiences it is less evil to have a degree in college in even just something than no degree what so ever at all.
    Mmmm, I kinda get the other persons point but only to a degree (LOL I MADE A PUN DID YOU SEE THAT?!)

Anyway. I do not think that these degrees are worthless by any means and I think that it would be super awesome to go into them. However, I worry that they are over saturated and so unless you stand out from the crowd in one way or another you might not get anywhere with it.

I have a friend right now who is working towards an art major. I worry for her and her future, a lot. She was my best friend growing up and the last thing I wanna see her do is work as some cashier or whatever because her degree didn't get her anywhere. I've tried to talk her into getting a minor in something, anything. And I've tried to talk her into getting an art degree is something like design, something marketable. I worry that she doesn't stand out, you know?

Just like if you were trying to get a degree that would allow you to work at a zoo. Unless you stand out from the crowd in one way or another (and work your ass for it) their is just too many people who want that same job and are working for it and your chances go down.

So, to sum up: degrees in art and such ARE important but I worry about the over saturation.
    GoodTimeReptiles
    C. ciliatus, M. chahoua, P. regius

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stellarawesome View Post
    Its a sore subject for me when you hear all the time about art departments getting cut because they're 'just not important'. That, and some of the quizzical looks when I say that I'm getting an art degree.
    I can understand that. I completely believe you. I don't think that art departments are unimportant. Like I said, if you want to go to school and learn about a topic, that's completely fine and understandable. More power to you. Most people go to college though looking to get into a career. Surely you can make a career out of doing fantastic artwork - but does that require college education? What percentage of famous artworks were made by those with a degree in art? If a work of art is great, does it make it any better or worth more because it was made by someone with a college degree?

Though I am not an Art History Major, the first two that come to mind immediatly are Anthropology and Museum curation. I don't understand why one would think Art History has no place when its an invaluable tool for learning about the past. I mean think about cultures that used no written form of language and how much more we know about them from the art they left behind on walls, pottery and in their jewelry and clothing.
    And how competitive are those jobs as anthropologists and curators? How many are available in the job market? I'm guessing it's pretty tough, and especially so without an advanced degree such as a Master's or higher.

There's no question that art is valuable for learning about culture and history. Knowledge of it is great. The point of a college degree is by and large to teach you something that will be seen as valuable to an employer in the job market, and help get you a career. In other words, they want to pay you money for what you know because it will help them operate their business and in most cases, turn a profit.

If someone just wants to learn about art or some other subject, they can take it up as a hobby and not pay tens of thousands of dollars to do so. Meanwhile, they can get a degree in another subject that translates to finding a job easier. The degree can even be related.

For instance, an arts-related degree in computer graphic design will be a lot more useful because it teaches a skill that will be valuable to employers.

Generally speaking, a college degree of any kind is more attractive to an employer than not. That's what colleges tell us anyway, and it tends to be true. A lot of times though, when you're applying for a job, certain degrees will be more attractive than others to an employer, and thus, not all degrees are equal. Those that teach a trade skill will generally be viewed as more valuable than those which only present knowledge of a subject.

That's why a lot of people end up going to school, get a degree, and then find a job doing something that has no relation to their degree and in many cases it doesn't even require one.
    3.7.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus [Crested Gecko]
    0.1.0 Rhacodactylus auriculatus [Gargoyle Gecko]
    1.1.0 Eublepharis macularius [Leopard Gecko]
    1.0.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus [African Fat Tailed Gecko]