Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Removable Living Terrarium Background?

Thanks

Lightbulb Creating a Removable Living Terrarium Background?

Hi all!

I am currently playing around with the idea of making my baby crested's adult tank into a living terrarium, and I am doing all the research I can. One thing I am still hung up about is that I want a living removable background. I would like to create something like this out of great stuff, coco bark, and various wood pieces. To make it removable I was thinking of applying the great stuff to a measured piece of [something I haven't quite thought of yet, maybe a plastic sheet], and making it all removable by attaching super strong magnets in the corners of the sheets (like the feeding ledges).

Does anyone have any input about this? Do you think it would work? Are there any other ideas you can suggest?

Thank you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imyourscar View Post
    Hi all!

I am currently playing around with the idea of making my baby crested's adult tank into a living terrarium, and I am doing all the research I can. One thing I am still hung up about is that I want a living removable background. I would like to create something like this out of great stuff, coco bark, and various wood pieces. To make it removable I was thinking of applying the great stuff to a measured piece of [something I haven't quite thought of yet, maybe a plastic sheet], and making it all removable by attaching super strong magnets in the corners of the sheets (like the feeding ledges).

Does anyone have any input about this? Do you think it would work? Are there any other ideas you can suggest?

Thank you!
    Don't know if it would work, but I don't see why you couldn't try. You could always buy some cheap tanks off CL and practice off those.

Thanks

im in the process of planning a stoneware cliff face background with plant niches and a water feature. It will all be built out of clay and fired in the kiln
    1.1.3 Gargoyle Geckos
    3 Ecuadorian Hermit Crabs
    3 Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs

Thanks

a temporary solution that I'm working with before I have a more permanent backdrop is simply using fiberglass bug screen with the spline and hard plastic side pieces and making a rectangle of screening which can be easily positioned around the cage to provide more climbing room and areas off the floor of the viv to rest
    1.1.3 Gargoyle Geckos
    3 Ecuadorian Hermit Crabs
    3 Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs

Thanks

It should work. You could great stuff to a styrofoam sheet cut to size. Plenty of people have done that. Make sure you rough up the styrofoam before you apply the great stuff though otherwise it won't stick very well.
    "Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it." -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you. I want to do a non-permenant background. The issue is (from what I have read), especially with cresties, is that behind the background, mold can build up.

Personally, I just went straight on to the glass. With the layer of silicon, it really won't be too hard to scrape off if you want to remove it later on. Just a pack of brand new razors and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Thanks

I think I will start with a styrofoam backing and if I have problems with mold growth behind the screen, I'll make the backing stick straight to the glass. My [super new as of 4 days ago YEEEEE!!! ] fiancÚ gifted me a new adult sized terrarium for my 5 g baby crested, so I have a while to play around with it and get it perfect before baby can live in there.

A question I have that is related to living terrariums (but not to removable backgrounds), is where do I buy springtails and pill bugs? I don't think NEherpetoculture is shipping live objects right now due to the weather back east and I live in Northern California.

Thanks again, all!
    Last edited by imyourscar; 12-28-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: silly grammatical errors

Thanks

Hit up Sarah (LunarGecko) on here, she breeds and sells springtails and isopods, several of us on here can contest to how great she is! And she is on the West Coast also.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Also, does anyone know if I can use spray adhesive to get the coco bark to stick to the great stuff?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imyourscar View Post
    Also, does anyone know if I can use spray adhesive to get the coco bark to stick to the great stuff?

I'd think that material has not been studied well enough to know if its safe or durable under humid conditions. I would use gorilla glue or silicone to stick on the cocofibers. I prefer gorilla glue - less messy. I have heard people have good results with titebond too - but I have not tried it.
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)
    0.2.0 Guinea pigs (Chocolate and Lightning)
    1.0.0 Human (Ben aka The Monk)
    0.0.2 R. Auriculatus (Horrorcow & Ziggerastica)