Thread: vivarium question- ill be posting pictures later

Thanks

Talking vivarium question- ill be posting pictures later

Hey guys! I am really excited because i have just finished my false bottom and put in the substrate and plants! I was wondering what BUGS you would put into your vivarium if you were planning to make one. I was thinking earth worms and pill bugs (from NEherp)

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    Love y'all! Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday!
    Rebecca Healey

0.1.1.0 -Crested Geckos

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=696223433

Thanks

I just got into live Vivariums as well and I use Springtails alone and they do a great job. Got em at NEHerp

Thanks

May I ask how you started the project? I am interested in starting a living tank, but I have no idea where to start!

Thanks

Ok so to start you need your supplies (i made a false bottom to decrease the weight). 1.egg crate (which when you go to home depot it is in the ceiling section, it is apart of a drop ceiling or for light fixtures. (I would have never ever found it but i showed my dad a picture of it online and he is a contractor so he told me what is was lol) 2. obvi- your terrarium 3. substrate 4. zip ties 5. weed protector/blocker 5. tubing we used extra from a fish tank 6. Pvc 7. Fish tank gravel

So the first step is to cut the egg crate to fit the bottom of the terrarium you can leave a half to one inch space. Create a base with the remaining egg crate(I had left over it was around 12 dollars) (you use the zip ties to hold the crate together
    Step 2: then you use the remaining zip ties to wrap and secure the weed blocker to the egg crate. I got some from the dollar store- zipties
    This is how to make the false bottom. Its purpose is basically to fill space so the terrarium bottom is not full of dirt which is more heavy. My false bottom stood in my cage about three inches tall and I put about another three inches of dirt to plant the plants in.
    Step 3: the tubing is used underneath the false bottom. I hot glued the tube down the corner of the tank and to where the false bottom will be. The PVC will need to be used for extra support underneath the false bottom. The notches allow water to flow out of the pvc so it does not become stagnant.
    The point of this is so if I over water the plants or for some reason water accumulates underneath it can be suctioned out.
    If you want a back drop you have to create it and put it in before the false bottom is inserted I assume I didn’t want one I felt the glass would be easier to clean then a backdrop..
    Step four: the half to one inch space around the terrarium is filled with gravel
    Step five: add the dirt
    Six: plant the plants

You will get more information from visually seeing someone make a vivarium so youtube some videos! That’s what I did. My dad and boyfriend both put there input in how they would do it which is where I got the gravel idea and the water suction tube from.

I wrote this really fast so if anything is confusing lemme know. Ill try to re-explain it
    Rebecca Healey

0.1.1.0 -Crested Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlh09e View Post
    I wrote this really fast so if anything is confusing lemme know. Ill try to re-explain it
    Nono, it's great, thanks! I'm gonna YouTube now ^_^ Any experience making removable backdrops?

Thanks

I actually had this idea for a backdrop. I am really concerned with how to clean. I am like that in my apartment too lol. If i cant pick it up and clean underneath it i dont want it. But anyways i found this brown burlap at walmart in the garden section. I was thinking you could actually cut a piece to attach it to the back of the terrarium so you can see it through the back but can still clean the glass easy. I have never done any of this before I got my first gecko in august 2011 and my second about a month ago lol. Im figuring it out as i go so i have never made a backdrop. ;]
    Rebecca Healey

0.1.1.0 -Crested Geckos

Thanks

I'm a big fan of pill bugs and earthworms. The pill bugs are great from NEherp, but last I tried to buy them they were in short supply. If you can buy a breeding colony and some for immediate use. My geckos tend to pick them off on occasion so I have to restock every so often. Earthworms are great, but they might be cheaper at a local bait shop. Buy local worms if possible, wigglers if not. Don't bother with nightcrawlers, they aren't terribly efficient. Worms have a pretty high stocking rate, and I usually do around 30 per tank.

Thanks

i use isopods (like pillbugs) and springtails in my tanks.
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)
    0.2.0 Guinea pigs (Chocolate and Lightning)
    1.0.0 Human (Ben aka The Monk)
    0.0.2 R. Auriculatus (Horrorcow & Ziggerastica)