Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any background suggestions for this tank?

Thanks

Default Any background suggestions for this tank?

Hi,
    I ordered this: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/a...tile-cage.html
    today, and plan on using it for my Gargoyle.. I've had him in a 12x12x18, but it seems too small, and he is around 26g, so definitely ready for an upgrade!

Does anyone else have this tank, and care to share their setups? Any suggestions for a good background to use, perhaps something similar to the backgrounds available for the Exoterras..

I attempted to do some math and figure out how many gallons it is, and I came out with around 23.. can anyone tell me if that's right? It's rather embarrassing how long it's been since I've done basic math... and to think, my freshman year of college I considered switching to math as a major.. shudder...

thanks!
    C. ciliatus- GreenBean, Mr. Red,
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

Thanks

When I've had the energy to do backgrounds (too many tanks now) I would use the following very cheap procedure:
    --google image landscape of the areas where the gecko is native
    --find images that are the proper size and print them
    --mount them on nice paper (I like the marbled resume paper at Staples)
    --laminate them
    --mount on the back of the tank

Since my tanks are glass, I mount them on the outside; this one looks as if you'd have to mount it on the inside, which may be a problem.

Aliza

Thanks

Thanks, but I mean a surface to climb on, something maybe from a craft store that could be used as a bumpy climbing background, like these: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/r...ckgrounds.html

I mean, I could buy the largest size and cut it..
    Last edited by rmarkham; 12-25-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: forgot
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

Thanks

My question is how the heck do people keep the humidity up in screened cages?

Thanks

It's not all screen.. I was wondering the same thing. I'd imagine it has to do with climate of the region. It's dreadfully dry up here, but if someone was in FL or CA they probably wouldn't have any problems.

Then tank I got had screening on the top and front only!
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

Thanks

Because it is a screen enclosure, it's going to be very difficult to put a background in. Your best bet would be to get one of those cork tile backgrounds like you linked and cut it to size. I'm still not sure how you would attach that to screen though.

A great stuff background is out of the question because you have no way of sealing the back of the cage so the great stuff doesn't just squirt right through it when you're applying it. The only way you could actually make a custom background with a cage like this is if you cut out the screen on the back and replaced it with something solid like plexiglass/acrylic or glass, which I doubt the cage would accommodate very easily.

Good luck! I'd try the cork tile background cut to size...but don't hold your breath.
    "Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it." -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks

For a climbable background I'd recommend either slabs of cork (I have one in my garg cage and they love it) or burlap. You could get some at the local fabric store (check out Sewfistications near Lechmere) and attach it with hot glue or velcro or something like that.

Aliza

Thanks

If you run a search for Owens Corning foam backgrounds, you'll get some great ideas I made a bunch of them, so if you can't find it...PM me, I'll send you pix and instructions...(on my phone right now, or else Id explain now)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MollyAttack View Post
    Because it is a screen enclosure, it's going to be very difficult to put a background in. Your best bet would be to get one of those cork tile backgrounds like you linked and cut it to size. I'm still not sure how you would attach that to screen though.

A great stuff background is out of the question because you have no way of sealing the back of the cage so the great stuff doesn't just squirt right through it when you're applying it. The only way you could actually make a custom background with a cage like this is if you cut out the screen on the back and replaced it with something solid like plexiglass/acrylic or glass, which I doubt the cage would accommodate very easily.

Good luck! I'd try the cork tile background cut to size...but don't hold your breath.
    It's only screen on the front and top of the enclosure. It says in the description that it's plastic everywhere else..
    R. leachianus- Dragonite
    M. chahoua- Oliver
    2 5G planted Betta tanks

Thanks

i have to agree the cork bark title and cut to size. if you have trouble with humidity you can put some seran wrap on part to keep the humidity up.
    Darren