Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tiger's guide to Tarantulas

Thanks

Default hi

Hi Tiger,
    I like Pulchras, but as slings they're rather plain.

She was house caught, in a friend's basement. When he looked outside and saw it was snowing he did what any great friend would, he packed her up, took her to a petstore and bought her a cage with decorations, moss, a water dish, and a couple crickets before gifting her to me. One look at her and you could tell she was gravid, and this morning, there she was... carrying around a pea sized eggsack. I've looked her up enough to know shes a Hogna Helluo but that's where my info stopped. I tried Arachnoboards, I've been a member there for a while, but I only got one response and it wasn't very helpful.

I don't want to mess with her too much, but right now her tank is in our basement where I am currently building a room for all my critters including her. We have Plaster dust and paint fumes galore and the last thing I want to do is kill her, or annoy her enough to eat the sack. I've had tarantulas for many years, but this is the first real spider I'm planning on keeping for more than a couple days.

Right now she's in a small kritter keeper, with a nice deep substrate thats a 50/50 mix of spagnum moss and potting soil. She promptly dug a hole all the way down to the bottom and apparently laid her sack. Oh and my friend named her Janeway
    The Zoo: Cresties: Way too many!! Beagles: 1.1 Cats: 1.4 Russian tortoise 0.1 Snakes: 6.10 Tarantulas: 0.3.2 Birds: 2.4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo400rgtr View Post
    Tiger,

What care info can you give on Coremiocnemis brachyramosa? I just got a sling this week and can't find a whole lot through my searching. Thanks
    All I know about it is that I have been eyeballing one for a long time! I hear to get the true blue colors the light has to be right.

I would contact Kelly Swift of Swift's Inverts. He sells them and is a great source of info. He's my dealer of choice (and he comes to the local reptile show!). Good luck with the little sling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Cowboy View Post
    All I know about it is that I have been eyeballing one for a long time! I hear to get the true blue colors the light has to be right.

I would contact Kelly Swift of Swift's Inverts. He sells them and is a great source of info. He's my dealer of choice (and he comes to the local reptile show!). Good luck with the little sling
    Will do. I've purchased from him also, except for this particular sling.

Thanks

Default Death comes to the spider

Haven't posted on this thread in a long time! A relatively recent unfortunate event has me back though. I had a sling die. This is not an uncommon event in the tarantula world, there are things that can happen all the time. There are a few things that all keepers (potential ones) should know first though.

1. Slings die. It happens. They are relatively delicate and usually need slightly different condition than a more mature individual to thrive. Therefore, a husbandry of any sort can be devastating. However, it also needs to be kept in mind that tarantulas produce many, many babies. Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon Pink Birdeater) is known to produce 2000 in one egg sac for expample. Not all of these are going to live, even under perfect conditions. With that many there almost assuredly going to be lethal mutations that cannot be fixed. When buying slings, bigger is better, albeit more expensive. Most people use 2" as a bench mark for when a T is out of the danger zone, but keep in mind that Ts are very diverse and this does not work for many species.

2. A T on its back is NOT necessarily dead. They are much more likely molting their exoskeleton. A true worrisome sign is a tarantula with its legs curled underneath. This is called the "death curl" and while it does not mean the tarantula is dead, at the very least it is in critical condition. A tarantula's method of locomotion is based on hydraulic pressure. When that pressure is lost (dehydration, serious illness or death being most common) the legs will curl under the animal. It is possible to save a T in this condition by putting it into a dark wet deli cup in a warm place, however, this is a last ditch effort. A tarantula at this stage is in very bad shape.

3. There is a line of thinking that a T should not be counted dead until it begins to turn. This might not be a bad way of going about things. However, if all methods have been tried, and the animal is in the death curl.... it's likely to late. Disposal if of course up to you. There are way to preserve the exoskeleton and "mount" it. I have never tried, and people's results vary from amazing work to nasty.

4. There are various diseases and issues that can affect a tarantula. Many of them are covered to some extent in books, along with fixes that can be taken. Unfortunately, a vet visit is unlikely to be of much use. There is just not much that can be done for a tarantula who is sick or injured beyond first aid at home. Common problems are losing a leg, drops, and bad molts. Losing a leg is not terribly bad news but a breach elsewhere is catastrophic and a T can easily "bleed" (they do not actually have blood) to death. A bad molt can cause a large variety of problems, the best help is a sauna. An example of a disease is Diskinetic Leg Syndrome, so far as I know there are no fixes. It looks like the tarantula is flailing its legs wildly while this is going on.

I hope of course that this part of the thread is useless for most. However, if you stay with T's for very long, you will encounter these problems eventually. As always, feel free to chime in or ask questions.

Thanks

Cool RO and/or DI Water

In all honesty, I don't think it really matters. I use tap water for everything I have and have had no ill effects besides having to get water stains off sides every so often. That's a little annoying.

For drinking, I would be more worried about you drinking the RO/DI water as the fluoride in the water really is good for your teeth. For the rest of them, I've heard arguments for and against and no hard evidence for either team. If I remember right the large breeders that have chimed in have used tap because it's more easily available.
    I see this thread is 1.5 years old, but I just joined (we just received a batch of T.'s (Grammostola Rosea [Chilean Rose], Brachypelma Smithi {Mexican Redknee], & Coremiocnemis Brachyramosa [Malaysian Blue]) plus I have 30+ years as an EE in the pharmaceutical industry which entailed a significant involvement in water systems. So here goes.

As a reefer, you know the criticality of using quality water when it comes to makeup & change water. If you have an RO system, then by all means you should be using it, especially if your water provider uses chloramine to replace chlorine. Chlorine is much more expensive than chloramine, but it does not break down like chlorine does. As such, it will be in your tap water, which not only makes it smeel and taste bad, it is also bad for ingestion.

What you not need in the reef, the human, or other animal side is the DI water setup. Removing all of the ions from the water will lead to some extent of ions being leech from the recipient into the DI water. The larger the relative amount of water taken in/used the more significant the risk the leeching poses.

Thanks

For drinking, I would be more worried about you drinking the RO/DI water as the fluoride in the water really is good for your teeth.
    Good for your teeth and poisonous. It's a toxic byproduct of aluminum smelting. That's why we spit out our toothpaste. Seriously, look on the back of a tube of toothpaste and it says, "In case of accidental ingestion of more than is normally used for brushing, call a poison control center." I know it's a bit neurotic of me, but if I can't drink a glass of it without dying, I don't want any of it in my water.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

3.3 crested geckos: Turkish, Sollux, Pyx, Buttercup, Dandelion, and Jem.

Thanks

Glad to see that my little thread is still alive! Hopefully some of you are getting some use out of it!

Thanks

It's making me consider getting a T...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

3.3 crested geckos: Turkish, Sollux, Pyx, Buttercup, Dandelion, and Jem.