Thread: Self control... self control, I have self control... kind of..

Thanks

Default Self control... self control, I have self control... kind of..

I managed to practice some self-control at the PCPC Reptile Show we had here in Ontario (Canada) this past Sunday. Being a vendor means you can look around before the show starts and get first dibs Somehow, I managed to only bring home 2 new Rhacs, justifying it by telling myself that I've sold a bunch of geckos, so there's room for the new ones. That's logical, isn't it? Makes sense to me.

The body shots of the female ciliatus didn't turn out too fantastic, I'll try again when she's all fired up some evening. I wouldn't call her a rescue, but she sure was in need of some help. She's underweight but alert, bright eyes, good co-ordination and all those things, just needs fattening up. I think she just suffers from lack of proper care and/or breeding too early. So I got a female crestie who 'looked' yellow, patternless, plain and thin. After I set her up, gave her a good misting, she ate 7 crickets and fired up bright red with tiger markings, beautiful as anything. I'll give her a year to fluff up and fatten up, recover from what she's been through, then I'll see about using her for breeding if she looks like she's ready. She's in quarantine for a while, but my gut feeling is that she'll be okay, just needs time and lots of food. And if she ends up not being a breeder, that's okay, she's welcome to stay as a pet too.

Isn't she just so cute? She knows the "Get them addicted with the big sad puppy dog eyes" trick.
    You can tell by the cheek color that she's got red in her.

This gargoyle was from a trade, I'm not sure what sex it is but it doesn't matter, I can use either one.

The strange blobs stuck to his lips in some pictures are food, I was hand feeding him at the time.

In this last picture, he's busy licking off the last 'crumbs' of the leachianus MRP (I didn't give him CGD, the leachianus diet has more fiber, hopefully clean out his tummy faster so I can get a poop sample).

After the first lick, he dove right in and just sucked it back. I've never seen any gecko go this nuts over CGD, not even GGD, so maybe the LGD tastes better?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Thanks

Both are absolutely gorgeous. Bless you for taking in the female. I'm sure she will me much happier (and better cared for) with you. I swear she is smiling in those pics. Congrats on the new additions!!
    Lydia
    Kept by a veritable plethora of rhacs and other critters
    www.sandiacresteds.com

Thanks

Congrats on the new additions!! They are so beautiful! That red stripe Goyle is to die for I would love to see some body shots on that female, and hope she does better for ya, that was very nice of you to "rescue" her.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Congrats Silly-atus! I am sure they will both be great for you; after a year of TLC with you I bet she bulks up considerably.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Thanks, everyone

Here are some pictures of the crestie's body, not the best but you can get an idea of the tiger stripes and how thin she is. Her ribs are very visible under that baggy skin, even though it's not too obvious in the pictures and her legs are really on the thin side, like toothpicks wrapped in loose skin. She sure loves to eat, not picky at all. Once I get her fecal test results I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with but so far, it looks like she just needs a break from breeding and lots of food.

She was fired up when I started to take the pictures but dulled down as soon as I picked her up, so she's not red as I'd hope for in the pictures.

She doesn't look too bad in this picture, but it's just the angle and the way she's sitting.

If the gargoyle is a male, he'll eventually be teamed up with this girl I got last year.

She's a year old, so she has another year to go before I'll let her start dating. If he's a male, then she can wait even a few months longer for him to grow up.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.