Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chewie Tank Complete....Now Just need my first Chewie !!!

Thanks

Default Chewie Tank Complete....Now Just need my first Chewie !!!

Hey Everyone I have finally finished my tank set up for my first chewie that is soon too come this weekend . The longest part wasnt building the tank it was waiting for the day too come so I can go pick her up .. man I hate waiting the last week felt like a year for me lol .. Anyways let me know what you think of her soon to be new home . I will post pics up of the chewie when I get her . For now here is her soon to be new home lol
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks

To be totally and completely honest, I would not put a chahoua in that at all, its a gorgeous tank but it isn't right for a chahoua.

The bark chips, sharp corners of all the stacked rocks and the other loose bedding are ALL hazards. Choking hazards mainly, but all those sharp edges and I'd be worried about injury to their eyes or sensitive faces.

Also there isn't a single piece of cork in sight, and you have NO horizontal perches. I don't think a chahoua will thrive in that environment at all.

How big is the animal you are getting anyways? If its under 40g that tank is WAY too large (its an 18x18x24? right?)
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    To be totally and completely honest, I would not put a chahoua in that at all, its a gorgeous tank but it isn't right for a chahoua.

The bark chips, sharp corners of all the stacked rocks and the other loose bedding are ALL hazards. Choking hazards mainly, but all those sharp edges and I'd be worried about injury to their eyes or sensitive faces.

Also there isn't a single piece of cork in sight, and you have NO horizontal perches. I don't think a chahoua will thrive in that environment at all.

How big is the animal you are getting anyways? If its under 40g that tank is WAY too large (its an 18x18x24? right?)

Hahahahah this has to be one of the best messages I have read in awhile and woke up too ..You just made my day . Fisrt off let me start with the rocks the edges look sharp but I filed each and every single one down as I buillt the tank so thats that . Wood chips Im pretty sure they got wood chips and all sorts off other little things In the wild where they come from not your little tub setup.....Keeping in mind I asked my breeder about the tank size he said its perfect size also asked him about the wood chips said those are fine . As in terms of cork bark I dont know If I should take a picture or you should open your eyes . The whole backround is cork bark for #1 ...And for #2 if you look in the back off they enclosure on the right hand side there is like 3 pieces of hollow cork park . Glad you enjoyed the tank anyways . Contacted my breeder just for you and told me the tank is perfectly fine and nothing seems wrong with it too him ....we are dealing with one of the biggest breeders in north america here ......Oh the chahoua im getting is 39 grams do you think the tank is too big for her since she isnt 40 grams lol

Thanks

I agree with Meg that this is not an ideal chahoua setup. The main concerns are the wood chips and the stones. Wood chips because of the obvious impaction issues that arise from accidentally ingesting the substrate and stones because it is possible for them to harm themselves on the stone.

I don't think that there is a wood chipper in New Caledonia laying down mulch on the ground for the Chahoua to ingest, also, they spend their time higher in the tree tops when given the option. Either way, I am sure that some chahoua DO make it to the ground level and ingest things and die of impaction in the wild, just because it is also in the wild doesn't mean it can't harm them.

The stones are a concern because of the intense prey drive that chahoua have. They will LUNGE at live prey and they can dive head first right into the edge of a stone causing damage to their nose and teeth. Sometimes they lunge even when they think they see live prey. Once again, wild stones can hurt wild chahoua.

If I were you, I would remove the wood chips and stones and cover the bottom with just the green moss. That is safest substrate you have in the tank and still looks very natural. I would also have more branches/cork because they prefer branches and cork rounds over leafy hide spots.

Ultimately it is up to you, I think the tank is beautiful, but not set up properly for a chahoua and the changes that I mentioned above would easily make it more suitable for your new pet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sungmina View Post
    I agree with Meg that this is not an ideal chahoua setup. The main concerns are the wood chips and the stones. Wood chips because of the obvious impaction issues that arise from accidentally ingesting the substrate and stones because it is possible for them to harm themselves on the stone.

I don't think that there is a wood chipper in New Caledonia laying down mulch on the ground for the Chahoua to ingest, also, they spend their time higher in the tree tops when given the option. Either way, I am sure that some chahoua DO make it to the ground level and ingest things and die of impaction in the wild, just because it is also in the wild doesn't mean it can't harm them.

The stones are a concern because of the intense prey drive that chahoua have. They will LUNGE at live prey and they can dive head first right into the edge of a stone causing damage to their nose and teeth. Sometimes they lunge even when they think they see live prey. Once again, wild stones can hurt wild chahoua.

If I were you, I would remove the wood chips and stones and cover the bottom with just the green moss. That is safest substrate you have in the tank and still looks very natural. I would also have more branches/cork because they prefer branches and cork rounds over leafy hide spots.

Ultimately it is up to you, I think the tank is beautiful, but not set up properly for a chahoua and the changes that I mentioned above would easily make it more suitable for your new pet.

I feel like this site today is a comedy forum no longer a reptile forum ahaha I love it though . I have had some let downs in the last few months so thank you for cracking me up I needed that .

Anyways I dont know what forests you have been in but I have seen wood chips on the forest floor not from a giant mulcher lol ...but you know trees fall down animals chew the tree trunk and make a hole to live inside so usually when they chew it makes wood chips ....plus what about are other buddy you hear when you walk into a forest we shall call that the wood pecker have you ever looked at the damage a wood pecker makes its probably just as big as your giant mulcher's mess . Anyways I did manage to get some amazing looking captive bred rocks that I will be replacing after I take my WILD rocks out . Cork rounds are in the tank I don"t know if you saw that but they are there I might but in some more branches but I was trying to leave it as a natural setup so im on the hunt for captive breed branches .

Anyways thanks for your input and ill be sure to post some pics up of the chewie inside the tank when she gets here .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willgti View Post
    I feel like this site today is a comedy forum no longer a reptile forum ahaha I love it though . I have had some let downs in the last few months so thank you for cracking me up I needed that .
    OK cool, now that you've had your laughs, stop asking for advice if you're just going to be rude to people. You asked for feedback, you will get some you don't agree with, feel free to discuss things or differ with people without the rudeness.

Thanks

Where can I get some captive bred rocks?
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

I'm sorry if my advice offended you, honestly, if it were such a joke, I wouldn't be getting thanks from other members for it being helpful. I genuinely love chahoua, they are my favorite species of gecko and I have plenty of experience raising, breeding, and hatching them. You can laugh off the advice that others give you here, but honestly we are just trying to give honest tips so that your geckos thrive.

Thanks

I do agree that I don't feel that the replies received in this thread needed any snark in response.

But let's keep this thread on topic now, no need to continue discussing jokes/rudeness/etc. please or I'll have to start deleting crap. Please get back to talking about chahoua setups.

Thanks

My question is how are you going to clean that when your chahoua poops all over it? They poop a lot, and they are also pretty good at destroying things with their claws.

While your tank is asthetically pleasing, it's really not functional for a chahoua. I have had chewies for four years and would never put mine in something like that. Plus, they really need a place to hide like a cork tube.

And I have to agree with the others that wood chips are dangerous. It's just not worth the risk in my mind.