Thread: Best Heat Source for Ball pythons?

Thanks

Default Best Heat Source for Ball pythons?

im currently using a Exo Terra Heat-glo 75w bulb (inferred) ! is that good enough or what are some other solutions. also can i keep the infferred bulb on 24/7? while the other side of the tank has his hide spot and water bowl?? any suggestions about ball python heating would be best! thanks!!

Thanks

I prefer to use under tank heaters (UTH's) for my ball pythons. Heat bulbs tend to suck all the humidity out of the enclosure.
    1.1.2 Crested Geckos, 0.3 Mourning Geckos, 0.1 Blue Tongue Skink, 1.1 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Garter Snake, 1.0 Chinchilla, 0.1 Bird, 0.2 Dogs, 2.3 Cats, 0.1 Hamster

Thanks

Uth's, radiant heat panels, heat tape are all possible options but the best choice will vary with set-up and ambient temps of the area the animals kept in. While they do thermo-regulate, I don't recommend any of the above be used without a quality thermostat.

Thanks

yea thats what i was thinking too! so would one one heat pad be good??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyskillz123 View Post
    yea thats what i was thinking too! so would one one heat pad be good??
    Two would be ideal. One for the warm side and one for the cool side. Obviously the one on the cool side wouldn't be kept at temps as high. And you want a hide on both sides as well so you don't force an ultimatum of keeping at the right temps or feeling safe. The hides should be identical also so the snake can't pick a favorite between the two, that is once you find the type of hide your snake likes best . Another word of advise, UTH's can get scorching hot unmetered! A thermostat is a must and the temp. Probe should be mounted directly over it to keep optimal/accurate readings.

Thanks

I use one heat pad on the warm side of the the tank. These guys digest better with heat on their bellies. Depending on the heat pad, you MAY need a thermostat. Test it out on a tank without the snake in it, get the temp, and make sure it won't get too hot.

Thanks

How do you hook up the thermostat to the heat pad? Or do you still stick it on the side of the glass with the pad and it will read it??

Thanks

Almost all T-stats come with a temp. Probe. You want the probe directly above the heat source for the most accurate control. For example: UTH under the glass and mounted. You want the probe on the inside of the tank placed on top of the UTH. You can use duct tape to keep it and the wiring in place. Craft stores sell Black duct tape if you'd like, though it's more expensive. Substrate will go over it just fine and the animal will actually displace some to it's preference. Just don't make it too deep because you want the heat to be able to pass through it and absorbed evenly. I use only an 1 1/2" of coco fiber in my BP enclosure. The ultimate goal is NOT to have a 120+ fahrenheit hot spot that can Hurt your animal. You may find that you'll have the thermostat set higher than your target temps. Since some of the heat is absorbed by the glass and substrate. But with an infrared temp. gun my hot spot averages about 88F and my snake will bask in different areas at different times to thermo-regulate. For instance, after a feed he'll go directly over the warm side hot spot to help digestion.