Thread: .5 grams gained in 6wks??

Thanks

Default .5 grams gained in 6wks??

I keep asking myself what I am doing wrong with Merlin... When I got him he was 1.7g... Super Tiny, but the breeder assured me he was old enough so away we went... Here we are 6 weeks later and he is still sooo super tiny! The other 2 we got with him have each gained a gram or more.

Merlin even ate his first cricket on Sunday! (I was so proud!!) He eats, he poops, he's hydrated, his temps never go above 75 or below 65... yet he doesn't grow. He's housed alone in a KK... Any suggestions?

I know some gekkers are just slow growers, and if that's the case that's fine... I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong by Merlin...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with him, some are just slow growers/petite. He'll catch up when he's ready, just keep offering CGD and bugs around once every week or two, as long as he's proportionate and healthy, pooping and eating, no worries.
    If you're really concerned, you can put his cage a little higher up in the room to boost it a degree or two temp wise, sometimes slightly warmer temps help with growth. But really, honestly, don't worry about it if he appears healthy in looks/habits.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I don't do anything different for any of mine, all kept in the same room. Some are growing like weeds, some are almost a year old and only weight 10 or 12 grams (while others are at 24 already?) Just depends on the individual. I have another one that I bought recently at 15 grams, I swear she's at least 20 now and its only been a month!

PS...I only do 1 to 3 bugs each every week or 2, I don't let them pig out on bug night . And the rest of the time CGD and fresh water is available at all times, changed every 2nd day in summer/ every 3rd in winter. Misted 1 or 2 times daily, depending on the season.

Probably more than you wanted to know,lol I just realized I got a little carried away

Thanks

IMO 0.1g a week is a good average gain for a gecko that small. Mine don't gain much more quickly till they're up over 5-6g.

Thanks

Ok... I'll stop fussing over him/her and let it be... I am hoping now that Merlin is eating crickets too that it will happen a bit quicker... No matter what I love him!!

Thanks

I think its the lack of bugs initially. I have two little ones in my care right now, both just under 2 grams, and I will be putting roaches in with them daily until they learn they are food.

The protein initially really seems to help jump start them. I've had my share of slow growth, but last year I didn't start offering bugs until the babies were several months old, and I only got them maybe once every two weeks. I was also feeding tiny crickets, and I wonder how nutritional they are because I really didn't see much difference in growth until I started offering roaches who have a much higher meat to shell ratio.

CGD is a complete diet that will sustain a crested gecko. BUT how often in the wild would a 2g baby be approaching fruit, which would have to be somewhat of a communal source of food? The way I see it, not often, because they are food sized themselves and cresteds will cannibalize. I think young rhacs in the wild eat a lot of bugs initially, and once they get to about 5-6g really start chowing down on other sources.

People will often say, don't give so many bugs, it will spoil them off of the CGD but I have noticed that with bugs offered weekly even bi-weekly that three species from N. Caledonia: cresteds, chahoua and agricolae ALL have a better overall appetite, especially for their MRP.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Little dude will be alright, I think .5g for one that small is actually fairly good. Warmer temps tend to increase appetite (my room stays at 80 daytime and 72-75 at night). You could almost wait to give him live until hes around 3-4 grams, but after he starts eating live the growing will start quite a bit more noticeably. My experience has been similar to Meg's where it sparks their appetite and they seem to take more food.

There are also other factors that you can consider when making the food available to him like his cage size (too big he might not be finding the food), how accessible is the dish to him (if you're just putting the deli cups in there for him perhaps it is a burden for him to climb up to eat), do you typically feed him at night or early evening (their activity level peaks later), is there something you can do to his food that would make it more appealing to him (thicker concentration, thinner concentration, add honey to sweeten, blend in crickets or roaches to the food).

Just a few things to consider, I can honestly say that the only way to see change is to make changes to suit his situation best.

Thanks

Thanks for all the great suggestions... I tried thickening his CGD last night... a week later he is still at 2.2g. He is in a Med KK... his food is in a bottle cap and with the temps cooling down I keep in in the warmest room in the house. He did eat another cricket this weekend so that's a plus. I guess as long as he keeps pluggin along I won't worry (too much)

Thanks

i feel the pain too with slow growth. i have near to 10 of mine up close to the ceiling and some still won't grow after five months or just growing extremely slow. warm temps can help but some cresties are stubborn.
    Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
    Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
    Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
    http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
    http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Thanks

Yea Merlin is definitely a character and a stubborn one to boot. He has the BIGGEST personality out of all my cresteds. Stubborn little gecko... Sigh.