Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lid solutions for vertical aquarium set-ups

Thanks

Default Lid solutions for vertical aquarium set-ups

Hello!

Thanks to anybody viewing/responding. I'm looking for some advice on how to cover and secure an aquarium-turned-terrarium I'd like to set vertically.

I have crested geckos and while I'm currently in the process of switching from glass tanks to plastic tubs for most of them, I want to make a nice display out of a 40 gallon breeder that I'll be getting soon. Of course, I think it would be awesome to set the tank vertically, but your standard fits-over-the-top type screen lid poses a bit of a problem. Does anyone have any advice? I searched for larger versions of the 10 gallon screen lid Walmart sells (it's for rodents, but I like how it fits inside the tank on the lip rather than outside over the rim) but couldn't find any other sizes. I suppose I could make or modify a lid too....

Anyway, any advice or suggestions? I really appreciate it, thanks

Thanks

Perhaps look at Jungle Box conversion kits for ideas. They don't make a 40 gallon conversion kit but I bet you could make something similar with some plexiglass or acrylic or whatever. I don't know of anybody who makes 40 gallon vert conversion kits as I think AAA Frogs went out of business or something.
    "Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it." -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks

Thank you for the lead! I'll keep that one bookmarked in case I decide to keep my 20s. think I may have to go with a DIY for the 40 since, like you said, nobody seems to make one. Looking forward to the project

I'm also concerned with the stability of a 40 set vertically. I have ideas to make it as safe as possible, but does anyone have experience with 40 gallons set vertically and likelihood of it toppling over?

Thanks

Search thru some of my posts Ive stood 10g's & 33g's upright & have made doors for each..Although the acrylic 33g doors are a bit bendy they still work great

Good Luck..!
    3.1.0 Cresties 1.1.1 Cats 1.1.0 Kids

Peace
    Jay

Thanks

Hi Cid, thanks very much. I searched through a few pages and didn't see any threads about tank lids but I will get to digging further in the coming days. Thank you again and whenever I actually get this project started, I'll be sure to post a thread about it. My husband has actually been asking if we can use it for his Corydoras, which he loves to pieces. That would give me a great excuse to make a completely custom showpiece enclosure for my geckos, and not just a lid!

Thanks

You could try to silicone the glass tops they sell for fish keeping, that is what I've done.

It comes with a plastic attachment meant for cutting holes in for filters and pumps, but can easily drill air holes in. Attach swivel latches to the plastic frame of the tank, and you have your self a vertical enclosure. To make it planted, I cut a piece of Plexiglas to fit on the inside of the plastic frame of the tank and siliconed it in. With mine though, I sanded it to hide any scratches.

Thanks

Hi calia, thank you very much, that looks like a much simpler solution to what I had in mind (I always do things the hard way, lol). You probably just saved me countless hours of work I was thinking of going with separate panels, one for the bottom, one for a door, and one for ventilation. Still not decided, but I will let everyone know, thanks!

Thanks

Default vertical is awesome

I have a 55 gal tank upright. I built a door with plexiglass, screen and then plexi up top again. I attached it with silicon and screws. It was a process. I am just seeing vertical conversions for the first time. Sick idea.

Anyways, a 55 is super stable upright. You should do it for sure, but the door is a good bit of time and engineering. I really feel like the tall terrarium idea is space saving and great for lizards like my 2 anoles, which are living the sweet life in this thing.

good luck!

Thanks

I plan on makeing acrylic lids for all my ten gallons, if you go to tarantulacages.com they have some really nice lids. They hold humidity wonderfully. I'm gonna try and make my own useing there design, you can get acrylic sheets at homedepot or any home improvement place.

Thanks

Glad to hear about the stability being good. I think the engineering part will be fun, albeit time consuming. I've decided to wait on the project until spring since the tank is filthy from its previous occupants and needs more than a good scrub down. When the weather is better ill take it outside for a cleaning. Since my personal budget is tight due to the holidays, it'll give me time to plan and save for materials. I'll definitely check out the tarantula lids, thanks! I'd love for my geckos to feel like they are living the sweet life too