Thread: Thrifty Finds!

Thanks

Default Thrifty Finds!

I'd love to see pictures of what people do with stuff they find at thrift shops, garage sales, and dollar stores, mainly plants. Let's see your thrifty finds and what you did with it
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbear View Post
    Those look amazing! I have the vines with the leaves on them that the dollar store sells, they come in like six foot bunches.

How did you station those plants?
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

I tried a coco fiber back and found that the silicon was hard to spread and my cresties dont really climb the back. That was just my experiance, but I really like the way waterbear's turned out.

I made what i call Ghetto vines.

What it is is three plastic coated wire hangers wound around each other, and then fake plant vine rapped around that.

Note: the tank in the photo is sparse on plants to show the vine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
    Those look amazing! I have the vines with the leaves on them that the dollar store sells, they come in like six foot bunches.

How did you station those plants?

You know those cheap plastic pots used for plants in a nursery? I save them. Then I Geat stuff the little pots right into the background. I actually "plant" the fake plants into the pots w/ organic soil.

You probably could buy those little pots somewhere, I bet. Also, you can buy tiny terracotta pots for about $1 at Home Depot too.

For arranging vines ( I don't have any in the tanks pictured), I take some thick wire and then cover most of the wire with flora tape (it's green tape like stuff), then I make little "staples" with the wire and use them to anchor the vines to the great stuff background.

Thanks

I tried a coco fiber back and found that the silicon was hard to spread and my cresties dont really climb the back. That was just my experiance, but I really like the way waterbear's turned out.

Thanks!

As far as the coco back, I noticed that the geckos don't really climb on them either. I have one male who will, but I really think he'd climb on anything. I put a lot of wood into the great stuff background. It might be hard to see. They tend to use the wood as little highways to go from food to sleeping spots. I also think the more plants the better, so they climb from place to place on those as well.

For silicon, I find that you have to sacrifice a few cheap brushes. You can get them at dollar stores and craft stores. I think the sponge brushes work good on glass and brushes with hair work better on the great stuff. Also, cutting some of the wood of the handle away with a wire cutter can help make a short brush that can be used to get into tight corners.

Thanks

Only thing I don't like about Dollar Tree (not sure if all dollar stores are the same) plants/vines is that they're silk, not plastic. The silk doesn't hold water droplets, which the geckos use to drink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSydney View Post

I made what i call Ghetto vines.

What it is is three plastic coated wire hangers wound around each other, and then fake plant vine rapped around that.

Note: the tank in the photo is sparse on plants to show the vine.
    Awesome idea! I may have to use this.
    3.1.5 Crested Geckos (Pangea, Petri, Pinwheel, Paco, Pistachio, Pepper, Pavi, Pacino, and Pita)
    ~And many other reptiles