Thread: Madagascar day gecko

Thanks

Default Madagascar day gecko

Just had a few questions about them and the Terrarium I have for it

Thanks

Ask away! I don't have any experience with day geckos, but hopefully someone here will.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Well I have mainly questions about the terrarium, Or I should call it a vivarium, realistically I have a bottom to it that holds water so it would be a aqua-vivarium lol I've been doing some homework. I bought the tank off a guy and he already did the walls in it with foam and glued some type of Cedar chips, It has a waterfall in the back that runs down some drift wood, I'm needing to know the weekly or biweekly maintenance of this vivarium...I've heard I need to change the water out at least once every 2 weeks, And I've been using natural Spring water instead of tap water. It has a grate bottom to the floor of enclosure and below that theirs a 4" holding tank that's the same size width and length of the enclosure that the water is In, A wanted to plant some live plants so I put the frog moss along the entire grate to cover the floor, I've added a couple of gecko safe plants and some orchids I stuck them straight down into the moss hoping that they will grow Because the moss is sucking up the water. I've put crickets in their about a dozen, he doesn't eat them all at the same time but it's pleasant to hear them chirp and they kind of run around until he gets hungry. It's pretty much like a little tropical forest but my biggest thing is the humidity, At mid tank I'm at 80゚ and 83% humidity. I need to be around 60 to 65% humidity. The gecko seems fine but I just don't want anything bad to happen to him. I think all the humidity is from all the frog moss and plants, The tank came with a fogger set up but I don't think there's any need for that it's got plenty of humidity. I just wanna make sure I keep it clean and I know that hes going to have droppings so what do I do about that and What about algae...But anyways I can post some pictures of it I just don't know how to so if anybody can give me some thoughtful tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Well I have mainly questions about the terrarium, Or I should call it a vivarium, realistically I have a bottom to it that holds water so it would be a aqua-vivarium lol I've been doing some homework. I bought the tank off a guy and he already did the walls in it with foam and glued some type of Cedar chips, It has a waterfall in the back that runs down some drift wood, I'm needing to know the weekly or biweekly maintenance of this vivarium...I've heard I need to change the water out at least once every 2 weeks, And I've been using natural Spring water instead of tap water. It has a grate bottom to the floor of enclosure and below that theirs a 4" holding tank that's the same size width and length of the enclosure that the water is In, A wanted to plant some live plants so I put the frog moss along the entire grate to cover the floor, I've added a couple of gecko safe plants and some orchids I stuck them straight down into the moss hoping that they will grow Because the moss is sucking up the water. I've put crickets in their about a dozen, he doesn't eat them all at the same time but it's pleasant to hear them chirp and they kind of run around until he gets hungry. It's pretty much like a little tropical forest but my biggest thing is the humidity, At mid tank I'm at 80゚ and 83% humidity. I need to be around 60 to 65% humidity. The gecko seems fine but I just don't want anything bad to happen to him. I think all the humidity is from all the frog moss and plants, The tank came with a fogger set up but I don't think there's any need for that it's got plenty of humidity. I just wanna make sure I keep it clean and I know that hes going to have droppings so what do I do about that and What about algae...But anyways I can post some pictures of it I just don't know how to so if anybody can give me some thoughtful tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Can you just run the waterfall and/or fogger at night?

I don't have a viv, so am not experienced enough to give you answers to your other questions, but wanted to make two comments - the driftwood most likely is going to mold with all that humidity. I would swap it out for mopani or some other waterproof wood.

Also, I don't know if the same applies to day geckos, but for cresties, 12 crickets loose in a tank is too many; they can start biting your gecko with bad results. Maybe someone else can speak to the day gecko aspect.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0