Thread: Madagascar day gecko

Thanks

Default Madagascar day gecko

Just had a few questions about them and the Terrarium I have for it

Thanks

Ask away! I don't have any experience with day geckos, but hopefully someone here will.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Well I have mainly questions about the terrarium, Or I should call it a vivarium, realistically I have a bottom to it that holds water so it would be a aqua-vivarium lol I've been doing some homework. I bought the tank off a guy and he already did the walls in it with foam and glued some type of Cedar chips, It has a waterfall in the back that runs down some drift wood, I'm needing to know the weekly or biweekly maintenance of this vivarium...I've heard I need to change the water out at least once every 2 weeks, And I've been using natural Spring water instead of tap water. It has a grate bottom to the floor of enclosure and below that theirs a 4" holding tank that's the same size width and length of the enclosure that the water is In, A wanted to plant some live plants so I put the frog moss along the entire grate to cover the floor, I've added a couple of gecko safe plants and some orchids I stuck them straight down into the moss hoping that they will grow Because the moss is sucking up the water. I've put crickets in their about a dozen, he doesn't eat them all at the same time but it's pleasant to hear them chirp and they kind of run around until he gets hungry. It's pretty much like a little tropical forest but my biggest thing is the humidity, At mid tank I'm at 80゚ and 83% humidity. I need to be around 60 to 65% humidity. The gecko seems fine but I just don't want anything bad to happen to him. I think all the humidity is from all the frog moss and plants, The tank came with a fogger set up but I don't think there's any need for that it's got plenty of humidity. I just wanna make sure I keep it clean and I know that hes going to have droppings so what do I do about that and What about algae...But anyways I can post some pictures of it I just don't know how to so if anybody can give me some thoughtful tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Well I have mainly questions about the terrarium, Or I should call it a vivarium, realistically I have a bottom to it that holds water so it would be a aqua-vivarium lol I've been doing some homework. I bought the tank off a guy and he already did the walls in it with foam and glued some type of Cedar chips, It has a waterfall in the back that runs down some drift wood, I'm needing to know the weekly or biweekly maintenance of this vivarium...I've heard I need to change the water out at least once every 2 weeks, And I've been using natural Spring water instead of tap water. It has a grate bottom to the floor of enclosure and below that theirs a 4" holding tank that's the same size width and length of the enclosure that the water is In, A wanted to plant some live plants so I put the frog moss along the entire grate to cover the floor, I've added a couple of gecko safe plants and some orchids I stuck them straight down into the moss hoping that they will grow Because the moss is sucking up the water. I've put crickets in their about a dozen, he doesn't eat them all at the same time but it's pleasant to hear them chirp and they kind of run around until he gets hungry. It's pretty much like a little tropical forest but my biggest thing is the humidity, At mid tank I'm at 80゚ and 83% humidity. I need to be around 60 to 65% humidity. The gecko seems fine but I just don't want anything bad to happen to him. I think all the humidity is from all the frog moss and plants, The tank came with a fogger set up but I don't think there's any need for that it's got plenty of humidity. I just wanna make sure I keep it clean and I know that hes going to have droppings so what do I do about that and What about algae...But anyways I can post some pictures of it I just don't know how to so if anybody can give me some thoughtful tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Can you just run the waterfall and/or fogger at night?

I don't have a viv, so am not experienced enough to give you answers to your other questions, but wanted to make two comments - the driftwood most likely is going to mold with all that humidity. I would swap it out for mopani or some other waterproof wood.

Also, I don't know if the same applies to day geckos, but for cresties, 12 crickets loose in a tank is too many; they can start biting your gecko with bad results. Maybe someone else can speak to the day gecko aspect.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0