Thread: skinny gecko dying help please

Thanks

Angry skinny gecko dying help please

Our family Gecko seems very sick,
    we were on vacation and my father inlaw didnt change there babyfood, we were gone for 2 day's when we returned the food was moldy and, he looked fine. but 1 week later he is very slow, very frail and deathly sick looking, I dont know if he is eating or not. we have 2 the other looks to be doing very good. my son is very sad to see him so sick. please help, I have attached a few before and after photos. he lost his tail 3 months ago when my son was handling him, but seemed to recover well from that.

before:

now:

the brown specks are just from his bedding.

please help

palex134 Guest

looks like that didn't happen overnight. I used to see those pics of leopard geckos all gross and dying, but never a crested until now. Sorry I cant help you. I dont know if even a vet could save him, but thats most likely his only chance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by palex134 View Post
    looks like that didn't happen overnight. I used to see those pics of leopard geckos all gross and dying, but never a crested until now. Sorry I cant help you. I dont know if even a vet could save him, but thats most likely his only chance.
    I agree with Palex that wouldn't happen over 2 days. It might even be to late for a Vet. I'd say freeze it, it looks like it is suffering. Do you have pictures of set up? What do you feed it? Just baby food? How often do you mist it it looks severely dehydrated.
    Sorry about this
    -Steve
    Steve Page

1.1 Anery Hondos
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    0.0.3 crested geckos (hopefully more soon!)
    1.1 Hypo Tangerine Leopard Geckos
    0.2 SHCT Leopard Geckos
    0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko

http://www.freewebs.com/coastalherper/index.htm

Thanks

no It didnt happen overnight its been progressively getting worse its been about a month. I noticed it the week after getting back from vacation.
    I feed him every 3 days with Trex - crested geko diet mixed in to baby food I mist them with water every night, He seemed to be getting better a few days ago, he started plumping up and looking real healthy, but went back to looking frail last night.
    nothing has really changed in the past year that I have done diffrent, should I quarantine him as to not get my other 1 sick ?

Thanks

he may be too far gone but i recomend force feeding him with some t-rex with out babyfood, stop mixing it witrh babyfood that seems to bring nothing but problems as t-rex is designed to be a total meal and mixing it with baby food screws with the nutricional values.

go to the local vet and get a large bore syrange, one without the needle.

mix the t-rex kinda soupy and add some calcium powder, without the d3.

it mostlikely isnt a parasitic infection unless u have been handling some water turtles or crocodilans.

keep him sprayed down but not sitting in sitting in water.

also keep him alone and at about 75 deg.

force feed him about .40 cc of t-rex three times over a week.

i have recoverd more than a couple sick animals this way.

if he is able to be saved, he will be better in about a week.

keep us updated

Thanks

All the sunken in features suggest extreme dehydration, I would get him to a vet for some subcutaneous fluid injections asap.

Thanks

Be very careful force feeding a liquid diet. If you're not used to doing it, it's possible for the gecko to aspirate it. (NOT GOOD.)

If there's any poop in his enclosure, have a fecal run ASAP. Definitely get some subcutaneous fluids, like Matt said... he looks horribly dehydrated.

You said the brown specks are from his bedding... what are you using?
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Tooo late he died, thanks all for the help, The vet said he is unsure whats wrong, but he died by the time I got him home.

I use a coconut based bedding. The other gecko we have seems very healthy and is growing good, I completely pulled the atrium apart and sanatized it all with hot water, I put new bedding in. so I hope he doesnt get ill. Now I have to find my son a replacement he is very upset.
    Thank you all for the help.

S