Thread: Buying & Keeping Bulk Crickets?

Thanks

Default Buying & Keeping Bulk Crickets?

I had been buying crickets every other week to feed my one crestie that would eat bugs, but I just got three new additions yesterday, and have 4 more waiting to ship, and buying bugs at petsmart is going to get expensive!

I really hate crickets, theyre icky and smelly, and as much as I'd prefer to keep dubia, right now its just not an option. So how can I keep a lot of crickets happy enough to keep them alive for a few weeks?
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks

I use large rubbermaid tubs from Walmart. Cut a big square out of the lid and hot glue a piece of screen to it. I use paper towel rolls inside, and paper towels on the bottom, CGD as a gutload and lettuce for water. Then to feed, just grab a role of crickets and shake it into a bag w/ calcium. I use the same setup for dubias. The crickets smell horrible; nothing you can do about that. No smell at all from the roaches, but I have some animals that just won't take them. I highly recommend keeping the crickets in the basement!

Noelle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amandarenee View Post
    I had been buying crickets every other week to feed my one crestie that would eat bugs, but I just got three new additions yesterday, and have 4 more waiting to ship, and buying bugs at petsmart is going to get expensive!

I really hate crickets, theyre icky and smelly, and as much as I'd prefer to keep dubia, right now its just not an option. So how can I keep a lot of crickets happy enough to keep them alive for a few weeks?
    I keep them in a bin with holes through top. As hot as my garage gets 6/7 months a year they thrive and breed .

So just keep them in a bin with cardboard tubes,egg carton etc. You do not need a big bin but do add egg carton, hide areas.

"smelly"

YES , lol.

I keep them clean by wiping the bottom of bin every couple days with wet paper towel and scoop up that filth for plant fertilizer but wow it smells.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
    I use large rubbermaid tubs from Walmart. Cut a big square out of the lid and hot glue a piece of screen to it. I use paper towel rolls inside, and paper towels on the bottom, CGD as a gutload and lettuce for water. Then to feed, just grab a role of crickets and shake it into a bag w/ calcium. I use the same setup for dubias. The crickets smell horrible; nothing you can do about that. No smell at all from the roaches, but I have some animals that just won't take them. I highly recommend keeping the crickets in the basement!

Noelle
    "The crickets smell horrible"

That rancid cricket waste with dead crickets and all is one of the best fertilizers I have ever used . Granted outside only lol.