Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Hognose

Thanks

Default Western Hognose

I'm doing some research on snakes at the moment, trying to decide which I want. I was looking at kings (in particular the grey banded) and milk snakes, but then I came across the western hognose. I completely adore them! I've found a lot of great care sheets, but not a lot about them personality wise. Can anyone help me out there? Are they super shy snakes? Do they tame well with handling? Obviously each snake can have a different tolerance level just like any reptile, but I know that some species tend to be more shy than others. Can anyone with one of these guys chime in?

Thanks

I don't own a hognose but have heard and seen that they tolerate handling very well. Also, they are very reluctant to strike if they are threatened. They will most likely just bump you with their little noses.
    I'm actually thinking about getting one, too. They are just so adorable!

Thanks

They are big fakers, all talk and no bite. Most will act big and scary, but as stated not apt to bite. Normally they are very tolerant of handling, obviously it varies per individual and how it was raised. I would say out of the 3 species, either the hoggy or the grey banded king (which is what I own) would be your best pet, milksnakes tend to be a bit more timid and are prone to musking as a defense. greybanded kings are known to be one of the more mellow king species, I know my guy is a little gem. A hognose is next on my list to get though, it is a matter of saving up as I want at least an albino!
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Albino hognose all the way!

Thanks

Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'd read that they tend to be a whole lot more show than bite, but wasn't sure how well they settle down. Which ever I decide on, I'll be getting a young one so I can start handling early. I'm pretty torn. I was completely decided on a grey banded king...and then I saw the western's snubbed nose. I love that neither snake gets huge. I have a couple weeks to decide still so we'll see!

Thanks

I got a Western Hognose in July and I don't regret it. I keep all my snakes in very simplistic cages. I have a plastic shoebox with aspen bedding. A water bowl and hide. I put the box on my heat rack and he does great. He's been eating a frozen pinkie a week.

When I open the lid, he'll hiss and puff and get pissy, but he's never struck. Very cool snakes.

Thanks

Great snakes....I have been bit by my male, but I think my finger probably looked like a pinky. Lol. I have also caught several in the wild around where I grew up(never kept them) and wild ones are a trip with how they bluff by looking like a cobra, playing dead, and musking. One of my all time favorites for sure!

Thanks

I just got my first western hognose over the weekend and definitely encourage you to get one!!! It's just a baby and I only handled it briefly before purchase and right before putting it into it's new enclosure. Both times the baby did very well, did not seem stressed. Very curious. The first day in it's new enclosure it seemed very active and curious, second day a little more shy, it hid most of the day. This is now the third day and it seems more active. LOVES the water bowl! It just constantly goes to the water bowl and swims around and then swims out.

I fell in love with the snake because I cared for one at my internship at the local zoo. That snake was also relatively friendly. It sometimes faked when you first got the snake out but once the snake was out of its enclosure it was very friendly and active. The snakes weren't handled much there, so I'm sure with regular handling mine will as tame as a puppy.
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Thanks

I was so sure I wanted the grey banded king...HA!

I'm falling pretty hard for the hognose. I've seen them before at expos and absolutely loved them, but didn't really know too much about them at the time. The more I learn about them, the more I like them! This is going to be tough. Oh well. Maybe I can talk my guy into letting me get one of each!

Thanks

I vote getting one of each! LOL. Have you seen a hognose in person? I think that it's important to see each in person and handle them if you can.

I had already researched hognoses and they were on my 'someday' list, but when I got to hold a little baby at an expo and it took it's little nose and rubbed my finger like a cat I was head over heels in love!
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.