Thread: Want Windows 8? Here ya go!

Thanks

Default Want Windows 8? Here ya go!

Questions and Comments are very welcome!

So here is a tutorial I made for everyone -- took around 45 minutes to an hour to write and was frustrating, but I hope it is useful. Keep in mind this is a pre-beta, so it will have quirks. Enjoy!

Okay, so the pre-beta is out. I dual booted this on my computer last night, and it is pretty interesting. The UI is much different from previous versions of Windows and takes a couple of minutes to get used to. I'm not sure I prefer this UI over the normal one, but it is after all the pre-beta so I assume the UI will change at least slightly before the finalized version is released. It is very fast and speedy to boot up though, so that is a big plus right there. Not much else to say -- it is just another Windows OS after all. Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads

If you want to install it, but can't because you already have Windows OS on your computer then follow these directions. We will make it so you can have two operating systems on your computer at the same time.

1. Download one of the pre-betas from the link above (I chose the 3.6GB version). This will be a .iso file -- if you do not know what an iso file is don't worry yet I'll explain that later.

2. While this is downloading, we need to install another piece of software that will allow you to partition your hard drive. This can be found here. Go ahead and install this.

3. Wait for Windows 8 to finish downloading and grab a snack.

4. Once Windows 8 has finished downloading, we're going to ignore that giant file for just a minute while we prep your hard drive for the installation. Go ahead and open Easus partition manager and choose "Go to main screen". This will bring up a screen showing a list of your hard drives. Now take your attention to this part:

This is showing that I have 4 partitions. The far left and far right partition are partitions that were created by the system that I will not modify because I don't want to potentially damage any of the files (even though there is free space). You may or may not have those depending on your manufacturer and OS. We are going to look only at the partition with the most amount of space. I want you to put your cursor over the right edge of that partition and you'll notice that your cursor will become a vertical line with arrows pointing left and right.

Now slide it to the left to create some unallocated space. I usually give myself about 10GB for a test OS, and I recommend you do the same. You will receive a message that says "Locking the C drive" this is part of the process so don't get worried. Here's what it should look like now:

Now you're going to press apply at the top of the window. It will reboot your computer. When your computer reboots it will not boot to windows -- instead it will boot into a program where it does its work. Warning Be sure to let it go through the whole process or else you could lose all your data! I was doing this with a 1TB hdd a couple years back and thought it got stuck so I rebooted and lost everything. If your drive is big and has a lot of stuff on it, it may stay at the same percentage for an hour or more. For this purpose if you know your hard drive is big and cluttered, I suggest you walk away from it so you don't get worried and reboot. It will finish everything without needing anymore input from you.

Now you have successfully partitioned the drive! Now on to #5.

5. Now we need to take that iso and put it on a DVD so you can make an installation DVD. You need to download and install this very easy very small program called MagicISO here.

6. Once it is installed, insert a blank DVD and go to the Windows 8 iso file and right click it. There should be an option to burn the iso to the DVD so go ahead and choose that. It should go ahead and burn the DVD. When it is done, reboot your computer.

7. When it reboots, be sure to boot to the DVD drive that the disk is in. Windows will now load the setup files. The first screen will ask you what language.. blah blah blah, just press next. On the next screen, choose Install Now. The next screen will ask if you agree to the lisence or whatever. The screen after that will ask you if you want to Upgrade or Custom. Choose custom. Then select the partition that we just made (the unallocated space) and click next. It will now install Windows 8. Just sit back and get ready to enjoy a clean install.

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlotje View Post
    Warning Be sure to let it go through the whole process or else you could lose all your data!
    Any way to avoid this part altogether or will we just have to risk it regardless?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    Any way to avoid this part altogether or will we just have to risk it regardless?
    It's not risky -- it's just that sometimes people think it hangs up at x% and reboot it. I have performed this operation countless times. I just learned a harsh lesson after that one incident. As long as you don't touch it, it will be fine. It would probably. How big is the size of the hard drive and how much space is taken up? I'll let you know if it'll take a long time or not.

Btw, glad to see it got someone's interest. Thanx for joining in the conversation

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlotje View Post
    It's not risky -- it's just that sometimes people think it hangs up at x% and reboot it. I have performed this operation countless times. I just learned a harsh lesson after that one incident. As long as you don't touch it, it will be fine. It would probably. How big is the size of the hard drive and how much space is taken up? I'll let you know if it'll take a long time or not.

Btw, glad to see it got someone's interest. Thanx for joining in the conversation
    Approx 250-350gb, and approx 30gb. I don't have the numbers off-hand. I don't have internet at my house, so what happens if I have to leave mid-download?