Thread: Petco in the news

Thanks

Default Petco in the news

Very sad.

(FLOODING/ANIMAL CASUALITIES) NEW YORK ó Last week, Petco employees failed to act on local flash flood warnings before they closed the store, leading to the death of 100 animals. The next morning, realizing the disaster, Petco employees attempted to save some animals, but their efforts were too little too late. Petco has released a public statement apologizing for their lack of attention to the subject and have promised to better serve the animal community in the future. Itís a sad reminder of how important it is to prepare ourselves and our animals for natural disasters such as this one. ó Global Animal
    CNN News, Kristina Sgueglia

Thanks

Yeah, that was two and a half hours from me. I work at a local private owned pet store and I had a customer come in the other day and tell me she's boycotting them now because of this.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

There was a huge thing about this on /an/ a few days ago.

Apparently employees wanted to take the animals to try and save them, the manager told them no and locked the doors. The store had plenty of warning and knew a flood was coming, so saying it was unexpected was BS. It flooded just as bad in that area back in.. 2006?

But someone else came in and said that regardless how upset everyone was about it- they legally did the 'right thing'. If the manager had let people take the animals and got caught in the flood and died, that's a human life. If someone had been injured in any way by taking those animals, there's another lawsuit.

It sickens and disgusts me that legally, leaving the animals was one of their 'best' options. They well knew ahead of time, they could have moved the animals higher up (we all know many of those animals are on the ground floor). Anything. But the manager was probably instructed to just get the employees out and lock up. I hope they get what's coming to them.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

That's horrible! I feel for the employees, that must have been hard for them. There are some animals you just get so attached to when you work in a place like that, you can't help it.

I just recently found something out that upset me a great deal that happened at the petsmart that I quit working at a couple of months ago. We had this little Bahaman Anole that we had in the back room because she had gotten beat up by a larger cage mate. She was in bad shape, but we worked so hard to get her back to health and finally accomplished it. It was agreed that we would leave her back there until she could be adopted out because of her scars.

I just found out the other day that after I left, she was placed back in the cage on the floor and killed by the same cage mates that had beat her up. I can't even tell you how unbelievably guilty I feel for not taking her with me when I left. Maybe it was just one little anole to most people, but to me she was an animal I worked hard to save and she was such a sweet, spunky little thing.

That's a small incedent compared to losing so many in a flood, but it's the same kind of negligence that was behind it. Maybe they were told the employees had to get out, but they damn well could have gotten a lot of the animals out too. It's not hard to at least get the fuzzies and the reptiles out. The fish would be a lot harder, but birds could have been saved too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crestielovely View Post
    That's horrible! I feel for the employees, that must have been hard for them. There are some animals you just get so attached to when you work in a place like that, you can't help it.

I just recently found something out that upset me a great deal that happened at the petsmart that I quit working at a couple of months ago. We had this little Bahaman Anole that we had in the back room because she had gotten beat up by a larger cage mate. She was in bad shape, but we worked so hard to get her back to health and finally accomplished it. It was agreed that we would leave her back there until she could be adopted out because of her scars.

I just found out the other day that after I left, she was placed back in the cage on the floor and killed by the same cage mates that had beat her up. I can't even tell you how unbelievably guilty I feel for not taking her with me when I left. Maybe it was just one little anole to most people, but to me she was an animal I worked hard to save and she was such a sweet, spunky little thing.

That's a small incedent compared to losing so many in a flood, but it's the same kind of negligence that was behind it. Maybe they were told the employees had to get out, but they damn well could have gotten a lot of the animals out too. It's not hard to at least get the fuzzies and the reptiles out. The fish would be a lot harder, but birds could have been saved too.
    I can't believe some idiot put her back in with her cagemate. That's just awful.

That is so disappointing! What kills me is those people KNEW the flood was coming. And nothing was done.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stellarawesome View Post
    I can't believe some idiot put her back in with her cagemate. That's just awful.

That is so disappointing! What kills me is those people KNEW the flood was coming. And nothing was done.
    I was pretty upset when I found out. They asked me to come back and work there again the same day i found that out. I told them no. I can't work in a place like that. It kills your soul after a while.