Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offered companion pet manager at petco

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptikim View Post
    heres my motivation for my new job:
    last week i put in my new hours to help get pet care in order: mon-thurs 8-4, sun any time. 2 days for studying. legit.

i got 16 hours this week...4 4 hour shifts...
    found out the new hire took all my shifts...
    Does this new hire have open availability? If so, then it makes sense, no offense. I'm a manager that does scheduling, this is the only reason I say this.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey

Thanks

they said the reason he got it is for training hours, since our lead midshifts.

I confronted the SM and he told me he never knew i wanted full time or lead or manager. Even though I've told him.. -_-

He said hes going to make somethign happen, and told me to apply for pet care manager
    Cresties: Taco and Waffles. Beardies: Yoshi. Tokay: Jacobi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by electricfiction View Post
    reptikim-

If I'm not mistaken, technically you wouldn't be allowed to work there unless you quit petsmart and waited 5 months. You sign a contract that doesnt allow you to work for another pet store corporation (ie. petco and pet supplies plus) for at least 5 months after you've left petsmart.

I would look into that or you could get into some legal trouble.
    the manager didnt mention anything besides him leaving in 2 weeks, which would be my 2 weeks notice.

I'm 90% sure I don't want to go to petco - I just feel weird about it.

Thanks

me personally... being a GM of a pet store would take the job if you had tried for it once before. would you be making more money etc? also with your knowledge you could help make the store grow over all as a whole.

Thanks

I'm the GM of a pet supplies plus actually..

Thanks

Even though I know a lot of people feel strongly about working for pet stores that don't have the animal's best interest in mind, I personally feel that you can really make a difference by doing so. I have worked in two pet stores thus far, first as a sales associate at a really awful mall type pet store that did horrible things to the animals, but I don't regret it because I definitely improved some people's knowledge and I mproved the living conditions of the animals in the store.

I currently work as a Senior Associate in a locally owned pet store that has four locations in the capital region of NY. This store actually gives a crap about animals, we do not sell puppies. The only animals that we have that we actually buy from a distributer per say is parakeets and ferrets. All the other small animals in the store are rescues from people who could no longer care for them. But even working at such a caring store you will ALWAYS have customers who don't care. That's just how some people are unfortunately.

I think you taking the position at Petco would be great for your resume and give you what sounds to be a much needed employment change. I'm sorry but I just couldn't stay at a job for five years with no advancement what so ever and no raises. My co worker's boyfriend works for a Petco and he really likes it, but I think it just all depends on the store you work for.

That was probably an unnecessarily long reply but oh well! :P
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

LOL nah it wasn't long xD

I've been with pmart since i was 17, I didn't mind the hours when I started college and preferred weekends. But our petcare manager quit because shes relocating across the US and they're trying to transfer one, but they don't want to transfer they want to move up the chain.

Pros of petco: 32 hours min and they work around my college schedule, lower amount of customers but some how top in their district, smaller store.
    Pros of pmart: worked there longer, know all about systems we have, good relations with managers etc, lot of regulars, possibility of becoming manager or some full time spot if I work some kinks out of my schedule.

Thanks

Honestly if you cut your hours back like that (l also make a retail schedule) l always find it easier to schedule the open availability people because you dont have to think about it. Just put them on whenever you need someone. I find it hard to believe Petco would allow a manager to work those hours. Sometimes they tell you what you want to hear to get you on board then things change. Just be careful.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Thanks

Yea the guy said since my hours riht now seem to be more opening that 730-230 would be it for mon-thurs and fri-sun would be whatever they need.

Thanks

well congratulations!! Thats great!!
    as for quitting, learning to do that is hard. I've done it a million times and its still hard. My advice is to just bite the bullet and let them know you are moving on to better opportunities. Let them think "well, maybe we should have promoted you"
    Beth in Alaska
    1.0.0 Corgi (Pirate)
    1.0.0 Keeshond (Toklat)
    0.2.0 Guinea pigs (Chocolate and Lightning)
    1.0.0 Human (Ben aka The Monk)
    0.0.2 R. Auriculatus (Horrorcow & Ziggerastica)