Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offered companion pet manager at petco

Thanks

Default Offered companion pet manager at petco

so ive been at petsmart for about 5 years and today i went to petco to get some rummy nose tetras and the guy (whos current manager) was amazed at my knowledge. I told him I inquired about the job few months back but it wasn't open and now it is. he took me to the office and did a mini interview because he wanted me to replace him and not the aquatics manager. i redid my app for him and submitted it.

I'm really excited, yet scared because pmart is my first job and ive never done a two weeks or anything.

The whole store is doing a turn a round so he picked me because I wouldn't let his work go to waste like the other one would.

Anyone been the companion pet manager? Experiences? :/
    Cresties: Taco and Waffles. Beardies: Yoshi. Tokay: Jacobi

Thanks

Unless you need a job, I personally would not go for it. I hear all the time that employees tend to deal with people who don't know what they need to know about the animals they want and don't care, and stuff like that. Just, IMO, not worth it.

Thanks

the store that wants me completely fired management and redid it, some of the people who work there are my regulars at pmart, lol.

im just wiped emotionally and physically at pmart. been there for 5 years/5 years in feb, got a DOLLAR raise, no position promotion. no nothings.

the store for petco is top in district and a good mellow spot versus pmart on a busy hell road 10 min from my house.

Thanks

No idea about the other questions you asked, but I would type a up a short note saying that you're giving your two week notice because you've been offered a better position elsewhere. I'd take it to your manager, and if he questions you, be vague about the new job, other than the fact that it's a managerial position with better pay and hours. Even if the pay and hours aren't better. Just let him stew on the fact that your potential is better used elsewhere.

That's all he really needs to know. He might make things miserable for your last two weeks if he knows you're going to work for the competition.

BTW-BIG CONGRATULATIONS on moving up!!
    Love and Light-
    Donna

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to the man. All things are connected."-Chief Seattle

Thanks

heres my motivation for my new job:
    last week i put in my new hours to help get pet care in order: mon-thurs 8-4, sun any time. 2 days for studying. legit.

i got 16 hours this week...4 4 hour shifts...
    found out the new hire took all my shifts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptikim View Post
    heres my motivation for my new job:
    last week i put in my new hours to help get pet care in order: mon-thurs 8-4, sun any time. 2 days for studying. legit.

i got 16 hours this week...4 4 hour shifts...
    found out the new hire took all my shifts...
    Evenings & Weekends are typically the busier times in retail. If you are unable to work evenings and Fridays/Saturdays, I could see a manager giving associates with more open availability longer shifts.

Will

Thanks

only thing is he told me he would work me with those shifts because im helping out and i used to do 2-10s between semesters.

Thanks

Well be sure to keep us informed of what's going on. I'm in a similar situation right now. I've been at McD's for 5 years, going on 6 and I just got into management. The only raises thus far have been from the governor (min. wage going up), plus 15 cents from the company. It sucks, but I pushed hard for management for the experience of the whole deal -- not for a potential career opportunity. I'm still in school so I'm not looking for my career yet.

Thanks

yea im in school getting my bachelors in anthropology/sociology, and then majoring anthro to teach it or use in medicine not sure yet.

Thanks

reptikim-

If I'm not mistaken, technically you wouldn't be allowed to work there unless you quit petsmart and waited 5 months. You sign a contract that doesnt allow you to work for another pet store corporation (ie. petco and pet supplies plus) for at least 5 months after you've left petsmart.

I would look into that or you could get into some legal trouble.
    ..JESSICA..
    | 5.2.2 Crested Gecko | 1.1.0 Leopard Gecko | 1.1.0 Horned Frog | 1.0.2 Panther Gecko |
    | 1.0.1 Bearded Dragon | 1.0 Uromastyx | 1.0 Tiger Salamander | 1.0 Sand Boa |
    | 1.0.0 Gargoyle Gecko | 0.1.0 Mossy Leaftail Gecko |
    | 1.0.0 Mini Lop-Pancakes | 2.1.0 Cats- Bailey, Rufus & Abbey