Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for an apartment; need advice.

Thanks

Agree also with the photos. the last place I moved into had a gash in the kitchen floor from the cheap linoleum. I told the landlord, showed her when I moved in, she made note of it, then burned me on it when I moved out 4 years later. I was irked for sure.

The other thing is the party scene. Check out the neighbors. The current house we're renting now is fine, but lately, there have been a lot of Pick up trucks with very loud bass music blaring at weird hours going by and lingering. (I suspect a slumhouse up the street, damnit all). If you can get on a neighborhood watch thing, do it.

Also, make note of graffiti... that shows gang activity. tagging is how those assholes let each other know "gang territories".
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Speaking of shower pressure, if you move into a complex ask if the water pipes are loud or quiet. I don't know how easy it'll be to get an answer to that kind of question though, lol. Ours isn't that bad, but when it's loud at 4:30am cuz a neighbor is getting ready for work... That sucks.
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

Also, how much you hear from your neighbors. I can hear the people upstairs pee. It's disgusting.

Thanks

call local law enforcement and check out the neighbourhood.
    check the sex offender websites for "locals".
    call the utility company and ask about the monthly bills (summer and winter).
    get a quote for renter's insurance.

Thanks

Don't forget about the pet deposit and pet related restrictions.

For the geckos, see if they ever have power outage or heating/air issues. If so how frequent and how quickly do things get fixed.

Crappy AC in a Kentucky summer can be nasty.

Will

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the tips. Every little bit of advice helps. I want to be as mindful about this whole process as I can be...

I am going to be very particular about the pet policy - make sure that my geckos will be welcome. I also hope to get a dog at some point. I can't live without animals, so I won't even consider living anywhere that won't allow animals.

There's this neighborhood called Cherokee Triangle that I really like a lot. My boyfriend and I went walking there the other day to look around and see what was up for rent. We saw so many people walking dogs. We even made friends with a guy walking his puppy. I think that'd be a perfect place for me (for that and many other reasons).
    Please call me Kat!
    0.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus: Toothless, deadmau5, Cake Batter & Mallo Cup
    1.0.0 Mainland Rhacodactylus chahoua: Dr. Zoidberg
    Rest in peace, Junk Drawer (06/10/2009 - 11/19/2011)

Thanks

This is gonna sound weird, but what I have done in the past to do a very quick scouting around is to look at the cars in the parking lot. If they are similar to mine it's likely folks in my pay range and in my rental budget range. Also look for what the neighborhood looks like. If it looks skeezy it probably is. Although I will say that my last place looked sketch and then turned out great for the first to 1.5 years, the last .5 a bunch of rednecks moved in and while it wasn't so bad most of the time, sometimes they made me want to hurt them.

Also to a washer and dryer included os a huge time saver.

Thanks

Thanks again for all the advice. I made my first appointment to view an apartment tomorrow. I'm kind of like... I've just never done this on my own before. When I spoke to the lady, Betty, about it, I felt like I was being interrogated! It was like, srs bsns. *intimidated*

She asked about my pets and sounded a little confused about the geckos. I told her I would gladly bring one to the appointment (mostly joking) and she was like, "Oh no no." I told her they were small and contained and that seemed to put her mind at ease.
    Please call me Kat!

Thanks

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow
    Can you imagine a world where they would blur out our middle finger to protect a "consumer" over blurring out an innocent child to protect their integrity and privacy? - Pink
    My Boys!
    1.0 Flame w/Dalmatian Spots - Maynard
    1.0 Halloween w/Dalmatian Spots - Zero
    1.0 Betta fish - Mr. Red Balloon Hands

Thanks

Thank-you! While the house itself was amazing (it was built in the 1800s and patterned after a Scottish castle -- towers, turrets, columns, etc.), the apartments were too small and old-fashioned for me, so I won't be going after them. One was on the third floor of the main house and the other was on the second floor of the adjoining carriage house. Like I said, very charming but just not for me.

I ended up taking my parents and boyfriend with me. I had been trying to be pretty independent about this whole process but I knew my parents would love the historic neighborhood and so they came along... and had a lot of good thoughts about my moving situation. My parents actually think I'm more in a position to buy (good income and lots of savings), so I'm thinking I'll probably look into purchasing a condo. It's just a matter of finding one in my price range..... as soon as I talk to my bank and find out what that is. I'm determined to live within walking distance of Bardstown Road too.

This whole process should be interesting...
    Please call me Kat!