Thread: Eastern American Toads, anyone?

Thanks

Default Eastern American Toads, anyone?

I've posted about my crestie, but not my toads. Let me begin by saying that I've never had an interest in frogs, toads, or amphibians of any kind. It's nothing against them, it just wasn't my thing. Well, apparently, things change. And, so does my mind...

My mother called me one night to tell me that her dog had brought in a toad. I didn't know what to do with it and so I told her to release it back outside. Well, my mother never listens to me and she put it in a tupperware container with some wet grass. The next morning, I get a call that she now has three of this toads in a container - sitting on top of her kitchen counter. And, she wanted to know if I would come and pick them up. I did, and to be sure that they weren't injured by the dog, I brought them to work with me. I work with someone who rehabilitates wildlife and I knew she would be able to help me. However, she informed me that two of the toads had mild injuries and that they shouldn't be released back into the wild. Thus, I was now the not-so-proud-at-the-time owner of 3 eastern american toads. Thankfully, I've come around and now adore my little toadies. But, had someone told me a year ago that I would have (and like!) toads, I'd have thought them insane!

Flash forward a couple of months and my toads are doing wonderfully. Their wounds have healed and they have more than doubled in size. They're HUGE eaters and love crickets and worms. I've been feeding crickets every other day and then some type of worm once per week. They're currently living in a 20 gallon long tank and are doing very well. They have coconut husk fiber as a substrate (although I am considering switching to paper towels and then adding some more hides and burrows) and a shallow water dish to soak in every night. I've also included a number of different types of foliage and branches. All in all, they appear to be thriving. And, though I never thought it possible, I really enjoy having them in my life. I never knew that they could have such personality. But, I'm learning as I go and it's been a wonderful experience.

So, does anyone else here have eastern american toads? Or, have you kept them in the past? Do you have words of wisdom, suggestions, or tried-and-true advice for someone who is new to everything amphibian? I'd appreciate the help and the knowledge that I'm not the only one who has fallen for this little critters.

Oh, I almost forgot! The little guys (or gals - how can you tell, anyway?) names are Pickle, Quibbit, and Cricket .
    Last edited by Ali; 09-06-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks

I would suggest that you keep the coco fiber substrate. I had a baby toad that I recently had to release due to it not eating, but it loved to burrow deep in the substrate.

Thanks

haven't kept eastern american toads but in addition to my reptiles i also breed poison dart frogs. frogs are very cool animals and some are very beautiful many are in danger in deforestation areas of the world.
    keep us posted on the toads.congrats

Thanks

I love toads. I used to keep them when I was little, and now keep a southern leopard frog. I would love to grab one of the many cute and chubby little toads around here once my cricket breeding stock increases.
    Glad you enjoy them!
    iHerp
    Facebook
    1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
    4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

Thanks

I adore eastern american toads! I kept them as a child, but only recently had the opportunity to keep them again. And, it's funny because my three toads came about much the same way yours did. My mother lives where it rains frogs every evening. And, her siberian husky has a penchant for catching them. Usually, my mother and brother release them (if they survive the dog), but, this summer, there have been a few who could not be released back into the wild. And, guess who has them now? Me!

I keep my toads in a 40 gallon tank. It was a tank I had previously used for mice, but it works well for my toads. I have them on coconut husk fiber that I keep damp, but not wet. I'd suggest continuing to use the substrate that you have been using as they do burrow. Paper towels should only be used as a temporary substrate (for example, I use paper towels for quarantine tanks or for the small tank I put the toads in when I am cleaning. I also provide some moss in their tank which they enjoy. I have a small soaking dish and then another dish that I use when feeding worms. But, primarily, I feed dusted crickets. I feed only 3 days a week, but, if your toads are younger and quite small yet, you may want to feed more often. I also have the obligatory plants, bark, and cork in the tank. For hides, I use clay pots. All in all, toads are very easy to care for. And, yes, they are very cute with their chubby bellies and grimacing stares .

Good luck with your toads. I hope you continue to enjoy them. They are a great first-time pet (where amphibians are concerned) and they do have quirky, individual personalities. My trio (Jagger, Hendrix, and Bowie) are awesome little critters. And, I'm sure your three are wonderful as well. Please keep us updated on how they're doing and feel free to continue to reach out and ask questions - that's what this site is all about. I look forward to reading (and seeing!) more of Cricket, Pickles, and Quibbit in the future.