Thread: Bearded Dragon With Stuck Shed, Swollen Foot?

Thanks

Exclamation Bearded Dragon With Stuck Shed, Swollen Foot?

I got my first bearded dragon today from Petco. He is roughly 6"-7" (haven't measured yet) from nose to vent. He seems healthy.

He is alert and took a big poo while we were still in the store. The only only problem is, on his back right foot he has quite a bit of obviously shed skin that hasn't come off yet and his foot and toes on that foot are swollen as if it is blocking blood flow.

At this time his is basking at 114(F) and he ate some collard greens and mustard leaves about 3 minutes ago. I am concerned the branch I have in there he cannot climb on his own. I put him up to bask and he tends to just lay still and rest. I tried to feed him crickets but no interest (hard to say if he had been fed in the store this morning since I only offered them at about 1 p.m.

I did give him a bath as soon as I got him home and he stayed in it for about 30 minutes and it loosened some of the shed skin. I will put him in another bath tomorrow to help. Is there anything else I can be doing for him at this time. I am trying to avoid picking him up too much since its his first day home but since hes got the stuck shed I will probably be doing that more often than desirable.

He seems to be enjoying basking and has his little mouth open regulating temperature now. I will make sure and feed him crickets with calcium powder in the morning just in case it is MBD but since none of his joints appear swollen I don't think that is the case.

I will post pictures soon. My camera is dead (the dog knocked it onto the floor and broke it) so I hope my description is enough.

Oh and his set up, 20 gallon with paper towels. I have a 75w heat lamp keeping the hot side at 110-115 and the cool side 78-84. Humidity has gone between 40% and 45%. I have a reptiSUN 10.0 pointing at the basking spot with the branch able to go from 6" to about 10" away from it (depending how far over he travels away from it). He has a bowl of greens that he picked at earlier and I am in the process of fixing him up with a hide on the cool side of the tank.

Update: As I was posting I noticed some hunting behavior and quickly moved him over into the bid where I will be feeding him. He proceeded to eat 43 crickets before filling up. I have placed a bulk order but until then I am going to have to make trips to petsmart/petco to buy them at .10 each . He is now happily relaxing on the cool side though I am not sure if it is just because he doesn't quite understand how to climb his branch yet. Anyway, if anyone has answers or ideas about his foot please let me know.

When I turned his lights off last night he had made it back up onto the branch so he is able to do so. I still think I will replace that branch with a different one in the next few days (for mommy's sanity)

1.1.1 Crested Gecko (Jazzy, Thor, Tony Stark)
    0.2.0 Dogs (Ebony, Ein)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Loki)
    2.0.0 Cats (Yin, Yang)

Thanks

Sounds like you're doing things right. I'd keep misting the leg every few hours just to speed the process along.

Thanks

Try soaking him instead of just misting, for one it will allow him to lap up some water, but two it allows for deeper penetration of water into the dead skin over just spraying. If the foot is physically swollen you can actually soak it in sugar water, the sugar water mix reduces inflammation while at the same time hydrating that dead skin aiding in the shedding process.

If after the shed comes off and it still appears his foot is inflamed, he may have a fungal infection going on and may require other care beyond just a daily cleaning of the foot...but no need to go into that unless it is actually the problem.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

He has had 3 soaks now. The shed skin is at the base of his leg, just below his knee and creates a 'fingerless glove' over his foot. Still swollen.

Here are some pictures I was able to take.

Both legs for comparison

Very easy to see what is shed and what is new.

His poor swollen foot

0.2.0 Dogs (Ebony, Ein)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Loki)
    2.0.0 Cats (Yin, Yang)

Thanks

That poor baby! Have you noticed any shed coming off at all?

Thanks

When he is in the bath the part of shed between his knee and his body pulls up and floats but doesn't come off the top yet. On the bottom of his foot, it is beginning to pull up some too so hoping and praying its going to come up soon.

I really hope he doesn't have to lose the foot or anything. The person at the store said it had 'been like that' and that the dragon would 'do it himself'.

I think the swelling must be from blood pooling and not being able to get back right so hopefully once the shed is gone he will be better. There is a slight chance he has some form of infection in there but I'm hoping not.

0.2.0 Dogs (Ebony, Ein)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Loki)
    2.0.0 Cats (Yin, Yang)

Thanks

He needs to soak every day until that loosens up if it's causing circulation problems. Put an inch or two of warm water in the tub, a towel on the bottom for traction, and let him sit, supervised, for as long as he'll tolerate it. You may need to keep adding warm water to keep the temp up. An inch of water cools down very quickly. If the skin is pulling away from the body, you can very gently help it off. It may be too thick at this point to just fall off. You don't want the legs or toes to become necrotic; that's a situation that can't be undone. Good luck!

Noelle

Thanks

Well here is the update after a few days. I got the shed off and uncovered what could either be a scar or a fresh wound. I have applied neosporine to the area and he is basking again. Here are pictures:

Opinions or ideas?

0.2.0 Dogs (Ebony, Ein)
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Loki)
    2.0.0 Cats (Yin, Yang)

Thanks

Looks like a scar and fresh wound good luck on helping the little one!

Thanks

Poor little one If you have one nearby, I would take him to a herp vet. It looks pretty bad, and you don't want him to loose his foot. I have seen this in a few beardies, it can be gout. It looks a lot like this and I hope it's just from his shedding. Hope the little guy feels better soon
    My Repi's:
    1.0.0.0 Bearded Dragon = Draco
    1.0.0.0 Pygmy Chameleons = Rango
    1.2.5.2 Crested Geckos= Coco, Peach, Pepper and many hatchlings!

~Website~.~My Reptile Art Shop~
    ~Facebook~