Thread: "Drowning crested geckos" (rant)

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Default "Drowning crested geckos" (rant)

warning: this gets a bit sad... and I'm typing this after I just woke up.

The other day I was in a local pet store and overheard a conversation when I was checking out geckos. Apparently they have been having problems with drowning baby cresteds. They had said that there was less than half an inch of gecko food (mind you, they don't use CGD, they use some baby food, bee pollen and other crap mix) and they were still having problems. This had me fuming not only because there were needless deaths but because they aren't even feeding them a proper diet....

How could that even happen? Too many geckos in one tank trying to fight over food because they aren't fed enough? That would be my first guess. I can imagine the babies holding each other down trying to eat... it's a really sad image... sigh.

I doubt there's anything I can do, either... I guess I won't be shopping there any longer, though. They switched over to those nasty black crickets anyway. No reason to keep going back other than to see what interesting geckos they get in and even then I don't particularly think I'd want to accidentally overhear another drowning conversation.

Thanks

thats horrible id let them know that you wont be shopping there anymore. maybe if they start losing business they'd start to change a bit.

Thanks

IDK Syn but I can tell you my local Petco now houses Anoles in with Crested geckos.....nicccce lets take a wc animal and put it in with a cb animal. And not to mention anoles often come in parasitic ridden. Had I had more time I would have complained and told them they really need to seperate for the good of both species, I am sure the anoles are not enjoying the nightly party the crested geckos are putting on.

My guess would be that they dont feed enough and maybe they fight to get to the food thus someones face is getting smashed in. But there has to be more cause for it other than that I would think.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Do you know if they meant drowning in the babyfood? Or did they drown in water?

If they're just finding dead baby geckos, it's probably another cause related to their husbandry.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kristyheartshergeckos View Post
    thats horrible id let them know that you wont be shopping there anymore. maybe if they start losing business they'd start to change a bit.
    Wouldn't make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    IDK Syn but I can tell you my local Petco now houses Anoles in with Crested geckos.....nicccce lets take a wc animal and put it in with a cb animal. And not to mention anoles often come in parasitic ridden. Had I had more time I would have complained and told them they really need to seperate for the good of both species, I am sure the anoles are not enjoying the nightly party the crested geckos are putting on.

My guess would be that they dont feed enough and maybe they fight to get to the food thus someones face is getting smashed in. But there has to be more cause for it other than that I would think.
    I was thinking the same thing. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Do you know if they meant drowning in the babyfood? Or did they drown in water?

If they're just finding dead baby geckos, it's probably another cause related to their husbandry.
    In the food itself. It's not husbandry related. Aside from the odd food mixture and crowding they look healthy.. if that's saying much.