Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those that make their own roach food...

Thanks

The problem is with your dry, I have to wonder what your % protein happens to be considering whole nuts are high in protein and high in fats (although you didnt use walnuts which happens to have more protein in it)

As for if I make this, I want to try and keep it at about the same protein level as I already offer it, which is where finding out the exact fat and protein content of our graham 2 flour is although what you see online is not the same as what we produce, ie the graham flour you buy in the shelf isnt the same as we produce. Depending on how it is milled, been heat treated, and cleaned can vary on its % fat and % protein. If I found it was too low, I have another option of TSB flour (a type of flour only my mill produces), and it is actually a type of flour they use in MilkBones which is normally around 12.0-12.5% protein, I think the graham is around 10% if I remember rightly. But I also have at my finger tips, fresh....and I do mean fresh, it will blow the grocery store out of the water wheat germ, which is high in protein. So I am able to really tweek my idea moreso than the average person as I have access to alot of things. And the fun thing is, if I make my blend, I have a machine at work which is pretty precise and can tell me what my protein % is, the bonus is I can also know my % moisture, and% ash of my dry food and better an exact of a dry food if the wet food doesnt work, to make it more comparable to the roach/cricket "chows" out now instead of simply guessing and hoping for the best. The only downfall is I can not tell calcium %, but I will know the iron! lol
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    The problem is with your dry, I have to wonder what your % protein happens to be considering whole nuts are high in protein and high in fats (although you didnt use walnuts which happens to have more protein in it)

As for if I make this, I want to try and keep it at about the same protein level as I already offer it, which is where finding out the exact fat and protein content of our graham 2 flour is although what you see online is not the same as what we produce, ie the graham flour you buy in the shelf isnt the same as we produce. Depending on how it is milled, been heat treated, and cleaned can vary on its % fat and % protein. If I found it was too low, I have another option of TSB flour (a type of flour only my mill produces), and it is actually a type of flour they use in MilkBones which is normally around 12.0-12.5% protein, I think the graham is around 10% if I remember rightly. But I also have at my finger tips, fresh....and I do mean fresh, it will blow the grocery store out of the water wheat germ, which is high in protein. So I am able to really tweek my idea moreso than the average person as I have access to alot of things. And the fun thing is, if I make my blend, I have a machine at work which is pretty precise and can tell me what my protein % is, the bonus is I can also know my % moisture, and% ash of my dry food and better an exact of a dry food if the wet food doesnt work, to make it more comparable to the roach/cricket "chows" out now instead of simply guessing and hoping for the best. The only downfall is I can not tell calcium %, but I will know the iron! lol
    And what is this awesome device called that measures the percentage of protein, moisture, etc? Because I want one...lol!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

lol its an NIR machine, they are not cheap
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

lol its an NIR machine, they are not cheap
    Figures...lol!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Thanks

OK so help me out here people so I can help you out lol. I joined a roach forum but unable to post yet, and doing a search on there I am not finding what I am looking for. If anyone can find written lit anywhere on what a good nutritional content of the food should be would be appreciated. Everything that I am findind are saying under 20%, other say 18%, others yet say 15% or below. I know the product I was considering to use as a base is normally 12-12.5%. I know my machine at work can tell me the moisture, the protein, the ash, the fiber and the fat content which are the more important things to know when making a base food. So if anyone has any information please post! Maybe Ken the Bug guy can help me out lol!
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I haven't been able to find that info yet either, hopefully someone else can chime in on it!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Thanks

OK so help me out here people so I can help you out lol. I joined a roach forum but unable to post yet, and doing a search on there I am not finding what I am looking for. If anyone can find written lit anywhere on what a good nutritional content of the food should be would be appreciated. Everything that I am findind are saying under 20%, other say 18%, others yet say 15% or below. I know the product I was considering to use as a base is normally 12-12.5%. I know my machine at work can tell me the moisture, the protein, the ash, the fiber and the fat content which are the more important things to know when making a base food. So if anyone has any information please post! Maybe Ken the Bug guy can help me out lol!
    I think what "they" think is optimal might be different that what "we" think is optimal because for us its about using them as feeders so what makes them the most nutritious for our animals is optimal, not what makes them grow and produce fast. I think 12-15 is where is should be for feeders otherwise the storage of Uric acid will be causing other issues.

Thanks

I have been poking my nose around the roach forum, some are thinking it should be even lower yet, not just for the reptiles sake but honestly for the longevity of the roaches life, they are thinking 8-12% from what little bit I can gather.

Ive had a few major set backs this last week and I havent been able to do what I wanted to do with this. I am hoping by next week maybe my life might be a little less rocky and I can try and get a blend done. I am able to get a lower protein than 12% with a different base, so we will have to see.
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI